Chapter 15 (New Girl)

It's been almost a month now and it's almost the end of the school year. I can't believe that such a fantastic year is going to end and that my sister is graduating this year. After all that has happened, she's gotten into York University that is only a twenty-minute drive from our home. It's going to be a big adjustment not having her here, but she's still going to be living at home. I know to some it might seem unusual that I'm going to miss my sister but she's been there from the beginning. And she was the one that found me when I tried to kill myself and took me to the hospital so, I guess that I can't ever forget that. She's part of the reason that I'm still living.

I close my English books when I hear the bell to dismiss the students and in an instant, I hear students outside the class start to make their way to lunch and in the class, all of the students are shoving their books and binders in their backpacks. I step outside of the class and am greeted with Jake's warm brown eyes.

I look around and see that all of the grade nines are making doll eyes at him and all of the older girls are looking at him like he's as handsome as the hottest celebrity and I can't say I blame them.

"They're all looking at you" I whisper.

"They're looking at us," he says pulling me close.

I chuckle and he pulls me to the mess hall. Even though I have Serena to sit with, somehow members of the hockey team manage to come over too. And I'm not going to lie they're good guys. Marcus is sitting directly across from me and I'll tell you he's got a strange sense of humour. And next to him is Noah. Yes, Marisa's ex.

We block out the conversation for a bit until our plans for the summer come up.

"How about you Katy, going anywhere?" Marcus asks.

I shake my head. "Nowhere interesting" I reply.

"Katy's going to get her G2 over the summer" my sister interjects.

I glare at my sister and she laughs at me for doing that. When she doesn't stop laughing I throw a pencil case her way.

She puts her hand out to guard her face and she throws it back at me. I laugh at our little back and forth. It's a sister thing I guess.

I look around for a bit and I see that Rebeca and Amy are walking over to our table when Marisa is not paying attention because she is too caught up in her popularity.

"What's up girls?" I ask giving Amy a high-five.

"Nothing much" she replies.

I feel that Jake is turning in his seat and he's become tenser. "What do you want?" he asks in a protective tone.

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Cool it, Romeo," I say reassuring him that it's okay.

He crosses his arms, still not sure of what I said. I know why he said it the way he did too, he knows that they have hurt me badly in the past and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again.

Rebeca and Amy look at each other for a moment. "We're done with hanging out with Marisa," Rebeca says flipping her long black hair. "But we can't stop until the end of the year because she will still hurt us if we do"

"I guess that would not be good now would it?" I reply with a smile.

They both look over their shoulders and see that Marisa's about to come into the room and they hurry over to their table so that she won't see them with me.

After that, not many words are exchanged but the silence speaks volumes that even the others are not happy with this. I know that they aren't going to be happy with this but I know what it means to feel hurt and to not be able to escape it.