chapter 14 (Bird in a Cage)

Its been a few weeks and yes Marisa's back at school and yes it was scary at first. The first day that she was back it was kind of funny seeing Marisa get used to being back and seeing her friends be nice to me for once. Also seeing someone other than my friends and my sister's friends being nice to me and not pretending. The most amazing thing ever. It feels like for once in my life I'm getting the respect I always wanted. And respect is something given to someone by others based on how you treat people and sometimes even if you deserve respect all they do is disrespect you the key is to always treat people the way they want to be treated.

I make my way to my history class and I see that Marisa is waiting outside the door.

"How's life loser?" she asks spitefully.

I ignore the question like I didn't hear it. And that angers her and I love to see it. Rebeca taps me on the shoulder when I sit in my assigned seat next to her.

"Didn't you hear what she said to you?" she asks in a whisper so that others in the class can't hear her.

I look at her and shrug my shoulders. "I don't care anymore" I reply. "She's made my life miserable for years and I'm done with it"

She nods her head and smiles before turning to the front to see what boring history documentary is going to be played today.

About halfway through the documentary, I feel Amy tug on the back of my shirt to get my attention. "What are you going to do about Marisa now?" she asks knowing that I normally would have been scared.

I smile. "I'm going to let this play out for a little longer. I want to show her who I really am, and I want to wait until she's really fed up with me" I reply.

She smiles and nods her head like she's relieved that someone is finally going to have the guts to give Marisa a taste of her own medicine.

I knew that someday her friends would turn the corner and not want to stand with her for long. And that they would want to stand with someone who will treat them the way they should be treated. I was always brought up to be kind and respectful of others and what they believe in and to see someone who isn't treating someone with kindness, it's one of the only things that really angers me.

Eventually, the documentary is over and the lights turn on and you can see that some of the students fell asleep in class. The look on the faces of students who were in a deep sleep always makes me laugh when our teacher drops a textbook on their desk in front of them. I know it sounds cruel but the surprised expressions of the students never gets old and after the fact, it's something we all laugh at. Even the sleepyhead.

I shove my binder in my backpack and do up the zipper when I feel that someone is looming over my shoulder. I look up and see the familiar blonde hair and green eyes.

"How dare you?" Marisa says in a low tone to intimidate me.

"Okay, first of all, I don't know how you think you scare me. You wear four-inch heels every and I'm still taller than you" I reply. "Second of all, how dare I what? Give you a little taste of what you have done to me for years when you knew that it was coming to you?"

When I walk off I feel that she's trying to keep up with me. "If you can't keep up with me, then you better take off those heels and see exactly how tall I am and then see how big you feel without those platforms on" I challenge while walking off.

I have to give it to her, she may be tiny but she has a big ego. But sometimes that can get her into trouble.

She still tries to keep up with me when I feel that my sister is walking by my side. She turns around walking backwards so that she can look at her.