Chapter 22 (Christmas Magic)

I wake up to no alarm clock. But I am awoken by Smokey telling me that he's hungry by tapping my face gently with his paw and his quiet meow as if he doesn't want me to get mad at him for waking me up. I guess that's because one time he tried to wake my dad up and he ended up getting pushed off the bed by accident. Now he always comes to wake me up in the morning to feed him.

I stretch my arms out. The first thing that hits me is the coldness in the air. I look through my big bay window and I see big flakes of snow falling from the sky and the once green lawns covered in white powder. It's only one day before we go on Christmas holidays and it's clear that people are getting ready because Christmas lights are already decorating our entire street and families and elderly alike have been decorating their Christmas trees. One of my favourite times of the year and one of the only times that the entire family gets together - even all of our cousins come over for the holidays.

I look down at my feet and sure enough, Smokey is there keeping my feet warm. I pick him up and lift him closer to me, as soon as I pick him up he goes limp in my hands - no wonder why the call these cats Ragdolls. He instantly starts purring and kneading my fluffy duvet when I start scratching him under his chin.

After a few minutes of just sitting there on my bed, I see that it's about time for me to get ready. I get up from my bed and start to hear shuffling in the room across from mine. Alexa's home.

I shuffle over to my huge walk-in closet and pick out a khaki green sweater and some black ripped jeans. I put on just a little bit of makeup and a bright red lip. I mess my hair up a little bit, but it still looks like I just stuck my finger in a power outlet. I'm glad that my sister is back because otherwise, I would be going to school looking like I just rolled out of bed.

I swiftly walk over to her room and before I can even knock on the door she opens it and she looks at me with sleepy eyes.

"You need me to do your hair, don't you?" she says knowing just what I was about to ask her.

I roll my eyes and nod my head. She smiles and pulls me by the forearm into her room and she sits me down in front of her vanity.

She instantly comes in with one of her many hairbrushes and starts pulling out the knots in my hair. I flinch when she yanks on a big knot.

"Ouch," I say quietly.

"Just relax" she replies while pushing my head forward. "Head forward"

She can be so bossy sometimes.

"So, are you excited for Christmas?" she asks.

"Well, I'm mostly excited for the cookie baking marathon that we do every year" I reply.

It's been a tradition that both Alexa and I bake a ton of cookies for the holidays - everyone says that it's what they look forward to the most. I have to admit, the cookies we make are good. However, it's not good if you're trying to lose weight.

She laughs at that. I know that's what she's also looking forward to because she gets a twinkle in her beautiful blue eyes.

Since going to university she's gotten a new boyfriend that I still haven't met, but she seems to be really happy. I guess that's what matters most, but I can't help but wonder what happened between her and Ben. They were going so good for a long time and then it just stopped.

The question is at the tip of my tongue. Like I can't help but ask about it. "What even happened between you and Ben?" I blurt.

For a second her eyes get big with shock but then she lets out a big sigh like she knew that I was going to ask about that eventually.