10

Dan was sitting at the lunch table the next day eating his regular sandwich. Barely anyone was in there because it was the weekend, they all were out somewhere else.

He had to take a shower early this morning because the guys had came in his room at 12:00 in the morning shouting happy birthday and showered him in chocolate sauce since Phil didn't have any alcohol. Shane had did the honors of licking some of it off his face.

He felt better after he  had showered though, he had gathered his crazy thoughts from yesterday and now he felt like a new person, he was eighteen. He had also just got done calling his mom who sang happy birthday to him with all his relatives for so long that the man at the booth told him that Dan was the only thing keeping him from break.

This marked his 3rd year at Kingston's, he was late on making up for the second gold badge and ended up getting a bronze one instead. By his fourth year, he would have one, he was sure of it.

So caught up in his thoughts, he didn't notice when Phil had came up to him smiling brightly.

"Hi Dan happy birthday! I was going to tell you this morning but you walked out fast."

Dan tried not to feel guilt as he puts down his sandwich and looks up at him smartly. "Thank you for the birthday wish Phil."

Phil looks at him shocked, he automatically noticed how different Dan's voice was, it was like when he first met him. "Dan? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Dan shrugs, "just a little bit of growing up is all."

Phil grows confused. "But what about last night?"

Dan starts packing up his half eaten lunch, knowing that a argument was about to start. "What happened last night meant nothing, forget it please."
He straightens out his new v-neck shirt and walks away, putting the strap of his lunchbox on his shoulder.

Phil doesn't let him go easily, he was a little annoyed now, but not angry as he chases after him out of the cafeteria.

"Hey Dan what's the matter with you?" He says walking up to him.

Dan keeps walking quickly, thinking that he would go away if he ignores him but Phil kept at it, keeping pace with him.

"Phil please go away!" Dan finally yells at him.

But then he's being pushed up against the wall, his lunchbox falls from his shoulder and then to the floor, his wrists pinned above his head and the look in Phil's eyes tells him that he shouldn't scream.

"Didn't last night mean anything to you Dan?"

Dan turned his head, Phil was really close, so close that if he leaned forward they would be kissing. His wrists were crossed over one another Phil had kept a firm grip on them. He felt Phil rub his wrist slightly.

"Dan's where's the bracelet I gave you!" Phil yells.
Dan still didn't say anything, but looked back into his eyes, hoping he could see how sorry he was.

"Dan answer me dammit!" Phil says.

"I took it off. I didn't want to wear it." Dan says quietly.

There was so much hurt in those blue eyes. As Phil backs completely off of him, making his hands slump back to his sides.

Phil looks at him for a minute, anger flashes only momentarily across his face before he wipes it clean of any expression.

"Okay that's fine, and again happy birthday Dan." Then Phil walks away.

Dan walks in the other direction, trying not to cry but he feels the tears threatening to spill out. This is how he wanted it from the beginning right? To have Phil leave him alone? And he knew by the look on Phil's face that he would never speak to him again.