Chapter 60: King Dad

(Yo what's up?!?! Sorry about how long it's been since my last update. I've been extremely busy with my job and getting my shit together. I should (hopefully) have the next chapter out in a reasonable amount of time, so please bear with me. I hope you all enjoy!!)

Walking through the battle arena, I turn to Sandy, who's been silent the entire time. He glances up at me quietly before looking away. Noticing his meek body language, I pause before kneeling down to his height. I scoop him up in my arms and give him a comforting hug, which he quickly returns.

"Sorry if I scared you, buddy. I'm just...really, really upset about this whole situation. You know?..."

"Of course, (F/n). I understand completely. If you want to talk about it when we get on the ship then we can. I don't mind listening to you vent. You've helped me so much already, so please let me do what I can to help you." I nod and give him a warm smile before standing up, still holding him in my arms.

"Thank you, Sandy. You're awesome."

"Not as awesome as you." I giggle softly at that before approaching the bay doors.

"So, who are we going with now?" I open the doors and, before Sandy can respond, I see Bowser standing on the dock as if he was expecting us. "Oh, Bowser...! How are you, your Ferociousness?"

"I could be better. Thank you for asking, (F/N). We have been waiting for you." I look down sheepishly at that and nervously chuckle.

"Sorry, sir. I had some important business to deal with before I came out here. I didn't mean to keep you waiting." He softly smiles and gently pats my shoulder in hopes of calming me.

"No need to apologize, my dear. You are quite alright. And you don't need to be so formal with me. You are part of the family, after all. And you've shown me so much respect already." I nod and give him a faint smile. Placing his hand against the small of my back, he leads me to the monstrous airship before helping me onboard. "Welcome to the Koopa Cruiser - my elite airship! Ain't it a beauty?" I nod and he grins before patting the railing lining the edge of the ship. "I've had this bad boy for a while, and it's the best of the best. There's lots of room, super-powered cannons, and high-speed turbines. Everything about this ship was crafted specifically for defeating the Mario Bros....!"

"It's quite impressive, Bowser. It truly shows the skill you and the Koopa Army truly have." His grin widens at that and he lets out a deep, boisterous laugh before gently patting my head.

"You're much too kind, dear. Now, I shall show you into your room. Follow me." I nod and follow him as he leads me below deck. Traversing through the enormous ship's underbelly, he finally pauses in front of a door before opening it. "I'm sorry if it isn't exactly of the highest quality. I hope that you won't mind."

"I don't mind at all...! After everything that's happened lately, this will be a very welcome gesture of kindness. Thank you, Bowser." He smiles warmly and gently pats my shoulder.

"I'll let you get settled in. If you're hungry, come up to my cabin when you're settled, and I will have dinner brought to us. I haven't eaten yet so I'm quite famished myself." I nod and smile up at him.

"I'll be up in a few minutes. Thank you again, Bowser. I really appreciate it." He nods, grinning, before returning to the upper deck. Turning to the door, I shift Sandy so that he's in one arm before opening the door and going in.

The room I had been given was a decent size. It seemed to mostly be used for storage since there were large crates and barrels inside. There were two beds along with a hammock tied between two pillars, and a small chest rested at the end of one of the beds. Sitting down on one bed, I gently set Sandy down beside me before stretching.