Thank You

Lia woke up on a strange couch. She shot up and felt her head spin.
"Hey sleepy head." A familiar voice said.
Lia turned around. "Alex! This is your apartment. I don't remember staying."
Alex laughed. "You did." She sat on the couch.
Lia frowned. "Shouldn't you have a hang over or something?"
Alex nodded. "I've been drunk too many times. Anyways yesterday I wasn't really drunk just a mess."
Lia remembered what happened to Alex. "Right. You can talk to me about it if you want. I have had my share of that stuff anyway."
She saw the pain in Alex's eyes. "You have? You're so young."
"I'm 15. I turn 16-" she frowned. "Next week!" She said in a shocked voice.
Alex smiled. "I'll have to celebrate then."
Lia blushed. "I hardly know you."
"You stayed the night. We're not strangers anymore. Tell me Lia what do you prefer in a lover?"
Lia blushed deeper. "W-why do you ask?"
Alex smiled. "You have a cute blush. I'm just wondering. I'll answer first. I prefer brunettes who just happen to be female."
Lia thought. She had never really thought bout lovers. She always felt attracted to girls but she never would allow herself to fall in one with one. It was wrong. "I don't know. I've never loved anyone."
Alex nodded. "Fair enough. Your phone buzzed a little while ago by the way. Something for broadway."
Lia shot up and stumbled. Alex grabbed her wrist. "Whoa there. You need to eat something."
Lia suddenly felt her mouth grow dry. Eat.
Alex watched Lia's face change. "Oh Lia. You don't have an ea-"
Lia looked down. She nodded.
Alex stood up. "Oh goodness. Come let's try to eat a little. I can help."
Lia looked up at her. "Why do you want to help me?"
Alex led her to the kitchen of her apartment. Lia only then realized there were no parents. "Alex where are your parents?"
Alex sat down. "They left. A while ago. I live alone. And as for helping you I felt something with you. I know I hardly know you but I already like you."
Lia sat down and nodded. "Okay." She whispered to both answers.
Alex grabbed a banana and tossed it to Lia.
Lia grabbed it and looked at her phone.

Dear Lia,
We are glad to inform you that you have been chosen for call backs for Ariel. We will see you Tuesday! At 4:35.

Lia dropped the banana and dropped her phone.
Alex looked up worried. "Everything okay?"
Lia nodded. "Everything's fine."
Alex looked over at the phone. "Really?"
Lia nodded and smiled. "I got a call back for the Broadway musical Footloose."
Alex beamed. "That's amazing Lia!"
Alex face fell immediately. "Lia where's your parents?"
Lia's breath hitched. "I ran away."
Alex stood up. "Why? I'm not judging but why?"
Lia took a small bite of the banana. "It's stupid to say out loud."
Alex knelt beside Lia. "Why Lia? Why did you run away?"
Lia looked at her lap. "I have an eating disorder and I just got out of the hospital. My mother said I couldn't perform anymore. I can't imagine my life if I don't perform anymore."
Alex pulled her legs up and crossed them. "I used to act. It wasn't for me. Lia do you think you can call your parents? At least let them know where you are?"
Lia sucked in a sharp breath. "After I know if I made it into the musical. Then I can call. Then they can't say I can't do it."
Alex nodded. "That's fair enough I guess. You can stay here as long as you would like." She said.
Lia blushed again. "Thanks."
Alex reached over and pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. "You're welcome."