I Promise

Alex sat on the couch of her apartment. "The funeral was too quiet." She mumbled.
Lia sat down next to her. "I thought it was lovely. He would have liked it."
Alex sighed. "I just wish I could have been with him before the illness got so bad."
Lia nodded. She thought about her own mother. She didn't want to miss out on a life with her. She was so selfish and it took a death for her to realize that.
"Alex would you meet my mother?" Lia asked.
   "I met your aunt. She seems upset. Is your mother that way?" Alex asked.
     "Not usually." Lia said. "I don't know how she is now."
    Alex wrapped her arms around Lia and kissed her. "I love you Lia."
    Lia smiled and hugged Alex. "I love you too."

      Lia stood in front of the house. "This is the place."
   Alex took a deep breath. "If she hates me then you promise to run away with me?"
     Lia chuckled. "I promise."
   Lia walked up to the door. Bex opened the door before she could knock. "She's in the kitchen. Lia if you run away I'll strangle you."
    Lia nodded and took Alex hand into hers. "Come on." She said softly.
    Lia walked into the House.
  Alex looked around. "Wow." She whispered.
      Lia took a nervous breath and walked into the kitchen. "Mum?"
     Lana shot up and knocked over a cup of water in the process. "Lia!"
     Alex looked at Lana. "Hello." She said softly. She took a deep breath. Lia saw her breath start to hitch.
"Alex breath. It's okay." Lia said. "Hi mum." She said softly.
Lana ran over and wrapped her arms around her. "Don't ever do that to me again." She said softly.
Lia hugged her mother. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She said softly.
Alex felt a hand on her shoulder. Bex stood beside her. "Tell me Alex. Why did you let her stay with you? You should have known to bring her back."
Alex looked at the ground. "Aunt Bex. Don't yell at her. She did what I asked her too."
Lana straightened up. "You must be Alex. I saw you on her Instagram. Are you-"
"Her girlfriend." Alex said softly.
Lana nodded. "I see. Alex please next time bring her back. Don't let my baby girl tuna way from her family again."
Alex looked at Lia. She looked at the ground. "I'm sorry."
Lana walked over and cupped Alex's cheeks with her hands. "You took care of my baby girl when I couldn't. Thank you."
A tear slid down Alex's cheek. Lana wiped it away. "Just give me that promise please." She said softly.
Alex nodded. "I promise." She said softly.