Chapter 1

It was in the throne room where I waited. The soothing woodwind instruments played, which filled the room with smooth tunes. It had almost made me sleepy. The room was covered with fresh cut flowers, brightening up the otherwise brown and dull throne room. Sunlight was pouring in through the tall, transparent windows. I wiped my moist palms on my pants, careful for my mother not to notice.

She entered through the doors alone. The audience rose, all the attention was turned onto her. Her dress was as white as snow. Gems and lace decorated her draping dress. In her hand were blush colored lilies. She rhythmically walked towards me. She passed off the flowers to my mother and reached for my hands. Her smile was as white as her gown.

The bishop linked us together, connecting our hands and souls, as he announced to the sea of people. They all stared at us. My stomach twisted into a knot with nerves.

"Here on this day we will betroth two members of two royal kingdoms. These two kingdoms will unite and partake in the Great War as one. Together." His loud voice echoed throughout the throne room. Guards stood at every entrance. They remained as still as statues.

He continued to talk about the kingdoms uniting, which made it seem like less of a wedding, and more like a strategy ceremony for the war.

On my side, my parents stood behind me. On the other side, her royal parents and younger brother. He seemed to have trouble sitting still. For both of our sakes, I was hoping the ceremony would be over quickly.

My body itched from the stuffy formal attire my mom insisted on me wearing. It was "tradition". Odd to think generations of kings handled this stuffy costume, I thought to myself. My mind drifted as the Bishop continued to preach.

She was lovely. Her blonde hair was twisted in a complicated braid. A gem filled tiara topped her head. It looked heavy.

The bishop connected our hands together and tied a purple ribbon around it. He tied it in a tight bow.

"This purple ribbon represents the kingdom of Lafayette. The color of the royal family. The Bray's of Lafayette."

He went on more about the kingdoms, our unity, our eternal bond. I had never attended a royal wedding before my own. Sure, we had a rehearsal, but it didn't seem to drag on this much.

He wrapped a gold ribbon over the purple one, securing it with another tight tie.

"This gold ribbon represents the kingdom of Belmonte, and the royal family, the Blackwater's."

He finished by tying the silk ribbons together. It slid like a snake in my hand.

"The tying of the two ribbons represents unity, and an internal bond between these two sacred and blessed nations."

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my mom. Her smile was the widest out of all the attendees. She couldn't wait for this day to come. Ever since I was a small child, she told me the importance of marriage and unity. She wanted to see me happy, despite not knowing what would make me happy.

"Prince Zander Bray of Lafayette. Princess Mavis Blackwater of Belmonte. Do you take each other to rule the land together in holy matrimony, as long as you two shall live?"

"I do." We said at the same time without hesitation.

"You may kiss, completing the royal ceremony."

Praise the gods for allowing this to be over, I thought. The knot in my stomach began to loosen.

We both leaned in for a soft kiss. Our hands were still tied together by the tight ribbon. Bells rang, ending the ceremony. We tried to pull away but laughed at our hands still being tightly tied together. The bishop unlinked us. The audience roared with excitement and began to throw dried rose petals at us. She took me by my moist hand and led me out of the room.