Chapter 15

"What the hell, Samuel?"

"I may have accidentally spilled my drink all over him, he might've gotten angry and I might've said I'd fight him outside. But then he stood up and whoa, he's a big dude."

"Samuel! What did we say about keeping it lowkey? Ugh. Can you go anywhere and not offend people? My people?" I said.

"You are so dramatic."

"I'm dramatic? Me? You're the one who wanted a low profile to be kept! You're also the one who tossed that out the window when booze and girls were introduced!" I said.

"What are you trying to say?"

"Nothing. Forget it. Let's stop here for the night. I think we're far enough now." I said.

I laid on the cold ground wondering about the fortune tellers warning. Could I trust it? Her predictions were kind of off on some aspects. Who was going to bring me into a dark situation? I had suspicions of Samuel before. He would gain nothing for the benefit of me not succeeding. Mavis? I couldn't imagine her intentionally hurting me. But isn't that what the fortune teller said? Someone I loved and wouldn't expect? Perhaps it was my parents, it wouldn't be the first time they put me in situations I didn't want to be in.

Samuel passed out, dead asleep as soon as he hit the ground. It was no way for kings to sleep.

I felt a bit of frustration with him. How could he have been so foolish in the tavern? The fortune teller said to be honest with myself and confess my feelings, but any feelings I thought I imagined had for him were gone. I was just confused, I told myself.

I woke early the next day. Samuel was still dead to the world.

"Wake up! Rise and shine!" I yelled.

Samuel groaned, pulling his pack over his face to avoid sunlight.

"Come on! We've got places to be!" I said.

"What's gotten you all chipper today?"

"Oh, me? Perhaps I didn't poison myself with alcohol last night, or threaten to punch a tavern man."

"You want an apology? Is that it?" Samuel said.

"Couldn't hurt."

"Sorry for having fun on our perilous journey, and sorry you have a stick up your ass that makes you so stiff you're unable to have fun." He said.

"Well that's not nice."

Samuel sat up.

"Look, I'm sorry that you were supposed to be the one drinking that much instead of me, but I'm not going to apologize for having a good night. These are the memories we're going to have forever. We're young, we're rich, and we're out of our castles. Danger or not, enjoy it. Because the rest of your life will be living in a stuffy castle with a wife you don't love. I'm gonna search for some water."

He got up and searched for a nearby stream to get some water for his head. Perhaps he was right.

I followed him down to the stream. He filled his canteen and rinsed his head with the cool water.

"Samuel?"

"What do you want, Princey?" He sighed in exasperation.

"I'm sorry, you were right. I shouldn't shame you for having fun, and you're right. I have only been off the castle grounds a handful of times, one there was an attempt on my life. I just don't know how things are done out here. I'd be dead three times over if it weren't for you." I apologized.

"Thanks, Princey." He said shortly.

"Is everything alright?"

"Just a headache. The sunlight hurts. Give me some time and we can be on the road shortly."