Chapter 18

"How do we get it? Do we grab it?"

"No, I'm certain it won't be so easy." Samuel began to approach it. Another orb appeared, floating in mid air. It looked the exact same as the first one.

"Do you see that?" He asked.

"Yes. What the hell?" I said.

He took another step. Another appeared. And another. With every step formed a new mind. They were all identical.

"This is another mind trick."

"What ones the real mind? And what happens if we choose the wrong one?" I said.

"I'm not sure."

"It has to be the first one, right? The one we saw before?" I said.

"Not necessarily." He took another step. And another.

"Shouldn't you stop walking?" I suggested.

"What if the real mind hasn't been revealed yet?" He said.

"Or what if it has and we make it harder for ourselves?"

"Then just stay put. I'll handle this." Said Samuel.

"Let's just think for a moment. The soul was concealed right? Hidden? So what if the mind is too? What if none of these are the real mind?"

"You might be onto something. But where?" We looked around the illuminated tunnel.

He stared at the stones on the ground.

"I'm going to try something." He pulled out his sword and cur into the same pattern of stones he did before at the peak of the mountain.

A massive amount of orbs appeared. The tunnel was covered. I felt surrounded.

"Well, that wasn't correct. Don't touch any of them." Directed Samuel.

"Maybe try a different pattern? Backwards?" I shouted over to Samuel.

"Backwards? Alright." He attempted that too. More orbs appeared. The small opening was beginning to get crowded. It was hard not to run into any of the orbs by mistake. I felt cramped and scared to bump into any. I backed myself into a corner the best I could.

"I don't know!"

"What do the stones mean? The cuts on the stones?"

"It's the same thing on my scroll. Mind, body, and soul. The symbols for each."

"Well, maybe just cut the mind?" I said.

"Just the mind? You think it could be that simple?"

"Why not try?"

Samuel stabbed at just the mind stone. Underneath, it began to glow the same shade of purple. The stone shattered as it broke through it. The pieces of the stone broke like glass. It was brighter than the others, and a deeper purple.

"It's beautiful." I said, watching it in awe as it hovered by Samuel.

The mind was free. It flew up towards the sky and disappeared, joining the soul, patiently waiting for us to finish our mission.

"We did it! We did it! Yes!" I jumped with happiness.

"Good work, Princey. Now let's get out of here."

I turned to the exit and ran right into an imitation mind orb. My heart stopped. All the orbs burst. The floor started shaking.

"Samuel! Hurry! We need to go!"

He leaped over by the entrance and we booked it out. The ground fell through the opening. We rushed out through the dark tunnel. Rocks from above began to fall. We stumbled over the pile of rocks and the woman's dead body. We ran as fast as we could, my leg scraped against the ground as I tripped over the rock. Samuel pulled me up and we continued to run as the mountain erupted. We reached the hole where we jumped down.