Chapter 26

"What's it look like?"

"I see bones. Big bones. And a glowing light at the bottom." Samuel rung the water out of his ears.

"Can you reach it?"

"I don't know. It's pretty deep down there. I need to come up for some air." He puffed.

He took a deep breath, than plunged himself back down the water. I anxiously waited for him to come back up. Even if it was for some air. He didn't come back up. I plunged my head down in the clear water and reluctantly opened my eyes. Samuel was stuck. Around the body were long and thick pieces of seaweed. They yanked him down deeper and deeper to the floor. He squirmed, the more he squirmed, the tighter the grasp.

"Samuel!" I yelled. He didn't respond. I had to do something.

I took a deep breath and threw myself in the water. I couldn't swim. I flailed my arms and attempted to dive down. I realized it might have been a mistake. I began to sink down. I panicked and began kicking and screaming. I couldn't even pull myself back up to the surface. Water filled my lungs. I tried to keep conscious, but my mind wouldn't let me. At least I'd be with Samuel, I thought. He was good. My kingdom had Mavis. My people didn't need me. Everyone and everything was taken care of. I slipped into a dark consciousness.

The next thing I remember was gasping for air on the surface. I coughed and panted. I couldn't breathe. Air cleared my lungs. My soaked clothes felt like anchors. I opened my eyes. Samuel was unconscious next to me. Above me were two women. Their hair light and long. They glistened in the moon light.

Samuel began to cough. I turned to him. He was alive. We were alive. I looked up at the women.

"Thank you. Who are you?"

They didn't say anything. They looked startled. Both of them took back to the water and disappeared out of sight. Their bodies didn't look human. They looked like oversized fish.

"Samuel?" I said. He coughed and took a deep breath.

"Zander. You're here. Where are we? How did we get here?" Samuel scanned his surroundings.

"I don't know. There were two women. They swam off. I don't know how."

"Mermaids? Where?" He jerked up.

"They're gone."

Samuel ran to the water.

"What are you doing?"

"Maybe they can help us. Hello! Anybody out there! Hello? Please. I know you're scared, but we aren't here to hurt you. Thank you for helping us. Please. I want to talk with you." Samuel shouted out to the open ocean. The only sound to be heard was the waves crashing against the shore.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as I stood up.

"I couldn't reach the body. I can't hold my breath for long enough and fight off the sea plants. But they can. We need their help. Hello! Anyone!"

There was still no response.

"I'm going to dive down and see if I can find them."

"Samuel, no. Not again. Please."

"I'll be fine. I'll be back. Hold on to your pants, Princey."

He took a deep breath in and went back under the water. He returned alone. He continued this several times, but still remained alone.

"No use right now, I think they're gone." He said, returning to the shore.

"What do we do?"

"It might sound odd, but they helped us when we were drowning before. Maybe we just have to do that again."

"You want to drown? Again? Are you mad!"

"I don't know what else to do. We're so close. Got any other ideas?"

I didn't. I sighed.

"Just be careful."

"I'm not drowning. I can't. Not intentionally. But you can, Princey." He smiled.

Next thing I knew, it was night. Intentionally drowning was possibly the scariest things I had ever experienced. If the mermaids didn't come, Samuel said he would still save me. But when? What if it was too late?

I let myself sink to the bottom, my heart pounded in my chest. No one was coming. I could feel the water fill my lungs. I felt no one coming. I began to slip out of consciousness. I began to panic, no one was coming for me, I thought. Samuel's insane plan was going to result in me dead at the bottom of the Black Sea.

When all hope felt lost, a hand pulled me. I was drug to the top of the water, and then to the shore. I took a deep breath of air in. I looked up to see her, the mermaid.

Samuel came up to her from afar. She gasped and began to leave.

"Stop! Please don't be afraid!" He called to her. She frantically began to return back to the sea.

"I won't hurt you. Please. We need your help. I'll repay you. Anything you want. Please. You've already done so much for us, I appreciate what you've done. Please help us one more time." She stopped in the shore of the water. She turned to face us. Her tail was beautiful. Golds and orange shiny scales patterned up her tail. Her hair was long and almost matched her tail. She was mesmerizing.

"What is it you seek?" Her voice was soft, angelic.

"The body of the fallen dragon. Its at the bottom of the ocean. I can't retrieve it myself. Can you help? Please."

"What do you humans need that for?"

"There is a Great War here. It needs to end. This is the only way to end it."

"Humans. Always fighting. Always violent. Never at peace. When will you learn?" She said.

"We want peace. The war must end. This is the only way."

"To summon a dead dragon?" She said.

"Please. Children are dying. They shouldn't suffer from our mistakes. Please. Let us end this. An era of peace will come. I swear on it." Said Samuel. She was quiet for a moment.

"While you humans blow each other up, please leave us merfolk alone." She said. She took both of our hands and pulled us into the water.