Chapter 8

"Guards! Defend the castle!" He ordered his men. They charged at the attackers, many battles broke out throughout the ballroom.

"Mavis. Where is she?" I pushed myself up, slipping in the guards blood. He helped me up, and handed me the dagger. He drew his sword.

"Let's find the queen." He said.

We pushed through the sea of blood and couldn't find Mavis anywhere.

What if she was dead? I couldn't raise a kingdom on my own. I needed her. I needed my best friend. My queen.

We searched the castle, calling out her name. I began to panic. We pushed through the doors of a parlor room next to the ballroom. Mavis stood over a dead body, a candlestick in hand. Her maroon dress stained with a similar shade of red. Blood spotted all over her hands and body.

"Mavis!" I cried, running towards her. The candlestick was bloody. I hugged her. The grip of the candlestick loosened in her hand.

"Your majesty, are you alright?" Asked Samuel.

"Yes. He told me the castle was infiltrated by Vendov soldiers. He told me to come with him to take me to safety. He lied to me. He tried to kill me." She was breathing unsteadily.

"I'm sorry, Mavis. I'm so glad he didn't get you. I would be lost without you."

"Your majesty, killing an armed man with a candle stick is nothing less than impressive. Great work." Samuel said.

"Your parents." Mavis said.

"Are they still in the castle? We must find them."

We went back out to the ballroom. The invaders were gone. Only Samuel's soldiers stood. They bowed to him upon entering.

"Did they get away?" He asked.

"Most of them did, sir. They appear to be Vendov soldiers in disguise as Lafayette soldiers."

"Where are the true Lafayette soldiers then?"

"Unsure, sir."

"Go find them, and help any surviving victims." They nodded and followed his command.

"My parents? Where are my parents?" I said nervously.

We rushed out and found them protected by Samuel's guard. My mother was breathing heavily.

"Oh! My son! You're alright!" She hugged me.

"Mavis! You're covered in blood!" My mother was shocked.

"I'm alright, I-."

"Go change, blood on your gown is not a good look for a queen." My mom cut her off. She nodded and begin to go upstairs. I sent one of Samuel's guards with her.

"How did they infiltrate the castle? And impersonate our guards?" Asked my father.

"I don't know. My men will follow your kingdom just as much as mine. They will keep this castle safe." He vowed.

He commanded them to search the castle and remove the bodies. Our servants went to clean up the blood from the ballroom floors.

My parents went to their chambers and hid in fear. The guards found Mavis's parents. She checked on them, then went to bathe and change.

"Do you trust me enough to talk to me now?" Samuel asked. We stood in the bloody ballroom.

I sighed.

"Alright, what do you want, Samuel?"

"Not here. Outside."

We walked by the horse stables in the middle of the night. He carried a lantern that illuminated our way through the darkness.