Chapter 19

"Let me go!" I kicked and screamed. Two men held me back and pushed me down, landing on my bad leg. They snatched my pack out from under me. Samuel attempted to draw his sword, but they held him back. It was six against two, our odds were not looking good.

"Take their horses! Take everything!" One commanded.

"You better leave our stuff alone or I swear to gods I will hunt you down." Samuel said in a struggle to free himself.

"Funny. You're lucky I don't slit your throat. We just want your stuff. We don't wanna kill unless we have to. Hurry up men! We don't have all night!" He yelled.

"Leave the horses. Please." I asked.

"Heck no! These are fine looking horses. Well taken care of. Definitely sell well at the market auctions. Let's go boys! Maybe tie them to that there tree first. Don't want them following us." The lead man commanded.

They did as he told. With some rope, they tied me and Samuel to a tree.

"Nice looking sword. I'll take that too." He reached for Samuel's sword in its sheath around his waist.

"No! Give me that back you piece of shit! That's mine!" Samuel attempted to free himself.

"Looks fancy. Almost looks like it's from a castle. Where'd you steal this from?" He looked down at Samuel.

"My grandfather was a castle guard, he gave it to me as a child. Please." Samuel pleaded, hoping for the man to throw him a scrap of sympathy.

"I don't think so. Nice try, peasants." He mounded my horse. The other men began to trot away. The leader followed, but not before spitting in Samuel's lap.

"Fuck you! You piece of shit rat bastard! You'll pay!" Samuel's face turned red as he yelled.

"They really took all of our stuff. What are we going to do? We have no money, no food, no clothes. No horses!" I panicked.

"We should've went deeper in. We shouldn't have stopped so close to the road. Damn thieves. They're ass at tying rope, though." Samuel reached down in his pocket to pull out his small dagger concealed in his pants. He sawed off the rope and tugged hard. We broke free.

"What do we do? Follow them?"

"It's pitch dark out, and we'd never catch up with the rat bastards on foot." Samuel let the rope fall from his fingers.

"We have nothing. What do we do?"

"I still have the scroll, map, and a dagger. Did they take your sword too?"

"It was in with my stuff. Yes."

"God damn it. I don't know how far we're gonna get with a map and a dagger!"

"Well I'm sorry! I didn't expect to get ambushed!"

"We will have to sleep for tonight, then continue down the main road. Hopefully we'll find a village." He said.

"And then what?"

"A village has food, supplies. We'll figure it out when we get there. Try to sleep."

"On the bare, hard ground?"

"Sorry I don't have a fancy pull out bed for you. The ground will have to do." Samuel snapped.

Laying on the ground without a pack or a pillow was awful. I woke up stiffer than usual. My muscles were already sore. My back felt like it was going to snap. We began walking on the path, my leg was still limp. Every step hurt and became more difficult.