Chapter 4

We went to the throne room to meet our unexpected guest.

"Who could it possibly be?" Said Mavis, pushing through the heavy gate doors.

"No idea. Let's go find out?"

We went out to the front courtyard. Down the cream stone path approached a carriage. It was white and pink, decorated with the gold crest of Belmonte. The horses were white and well fed. The carriage driver stopped in front of us and gave us a respected tilt of the hat. The door opened. A young man stepped out. He was dressed well, but hat was a bit obnoxious. Burgundy with vines of gold wrapping around it, along with several gold tassels that hung down in his face. His buckle shined of gold as well. He reminded me of a peacock.

"Charles. Hello! I didn't expect you!" Mavis said, recognizing the man.

He stepped down.

"Beautiful Mavis. Enchanting Mavis." He bent down to kiss her hand for a second too long.

"Hello." I greeted.

"You must be the husband. I am sir Charles Barke."

"He's the son of a very noble member with a high status. The Barke's are well known in my land and have many royal connections." Explained Mavis.

"Don't forget your best friend!" He said.

"Of course, Charles. What are you doing here?"

"Haven't seen ya in forever! Just wanted to see you and your new home. They better be treating you right here!"

"No worries, Charles. Everything has been wonderful." She folded her hands.

"Good, good. So, are you going to invite me to my chambers?"

"Your chambers?" Mavis repeated.

"What, you aren't going to invite me to stay?"

"Um. Of course, Charles. You are our guest."

Charles invited himself in and invaded our castle. Mavis was much different than Charles, it was hard to believe him qualified as her best friend. When I asked her what she had missed about home, Charles wasn't mentioned. He had never been mentioned.
Charles ordered his carriage driver to carry two of his large trunks inside the castle.

"Let me help you with that!" I assisted him. The heavy trunk dropped in my arms. I felt every muscle in my body tense as I attempted to carry the heavy trunk. What's in this? Stones? I thought to myself.

Carrying up the towered stairs was the worst part, but we finally made it to his chambers. I dropped it, breathing heavily. My heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest.

"Don't exercise, prince?" Charles sneered.

"It's been a bit." I said between breaths. When I could return to a steady pace, I unhunched and stood up.

"Enjoy your stay, Charles. I'm sure my parents will be delighted to meet you." I huffed.

I left the room. A squeaking sound of armor followed me.

"You're still here? You couldn't help me carry that?"

"My bad, your highness." Said Daniel, my guard.