Chapter 16

The mountain was visible from a distance, and wow, was it high up.

"We're going to the top of that mountain?" I pointed.

"Yes. It's where the mind is located. There's a village we will have to pass through to get to it. Remember, this kingdom, Salkon, is an ally to your enemy.
Do not draw any attention to yourself. Understand?"

I nodded. We continued on the road. The village was large, the entrance was guarded by a giant iron gate. Soldiers marched outside of it, protecting their town.

"Samuel. What are we going to do?" I whispered as we approached.

"I don't know. Follow my lead."

"Samuel, wait!" He sped up to the gate on his horse. I followed.

"Stop! Who goes there!" Said a guard at the front gate. There was at least five more.

"I'm Rob. This is my brother, Lee. We are workers here to do business in the city."

"What business?"

"We sell our services, sir. Manual labor. We were hired by a family here. Please, grant us passage through."

"Hmm. Are you from Salkon?"

Samuel was lying so well. He didn't stutter or pause for even a moment.

"Yes. We are."

"What town?"

"Ocotillos. By Asher Bay."

"Who is  your village regent?"

"Paul Choras, the third." Samuel said.

"Proceed. OPEN THE GATE!" Shouted the guard. The gate rose for us.

"Thank you, kind sir. Remember. Victory awaits."

The guard nodded. Samuel lied so well to the guards. How did he know all that? He answered every question about their kingdom flawlessly and without hesitation.

The gate shut after we entered.

"How did you know all that?"

"All of what?"

"Those questions about the kingdom were in. How did you know that? I thought you've never been here?"

"I haven't. I just know to do my research before traveling anywhere. I could answer the same questions for your kingdom as well. It's important for a mission like this to know who the enemy is."

We rode through the busy town. Men were riding horses in every direction. It seemed to be prosperous, less homeless people than in my kingdom. They all wore black and emerald clothes.

We safely made it through town and began the mountain trail.

"Leave the horses here. They can't handle this terrain." Said Samuel. We tied the horses, leaving them with plenty of grass to graze on and water to drink.

We began the long hike upward. My legs began to burn earlier on. The temperature began to drop. My body felt chilled.

"All the way up to the top?" I asked.

"Yes. That's where the mind is. I must warn you. I've heard stories about this place. Others have attempted to reach the mind but haven't. It is said the mind will play tricks on you. Make you see things, hear things. You must ignore them. You must keep going."