Chapter 7

"Is there an issue, gentleman?" Samuel said, holding a book open in his hands. He was dressed in looser clothing, weaponless. The children sat around him on the ground. Daniel put his sword away.

"Apologies, didn't mean to scare you kids. Samuel, where's the princess?" Daniel said.

"She was feeling a bit under the weather this morning, I told her I would read to them instead. Any more questions? Or are you trying to traumatize these young orphans further?"

"Uh, no. Sorry." Daniel backed up.

"Perfect. Now. Back to the story. The third bear poured his soup-." Samuel turned back to the children and continued reading to them.

I felt embarrassed. I was growing paranoid of him, perhaps my suspicions were wrong.

"Excuse me, Princey." A voice down the narrow hall followed me. I didn't even need to turn to see who it was.

"Yes, Samuel?" I said.

"You really don't trust me with those kids? They are part of the reason I traveled all this way to save your kingdom to prevent innocent lives like theirs. Can you show some respect?" He demanded.

"Respect, I will give you. But not trust." I said.

"Oh, poor Princey. He has a problem with the hero who's going to swoop in and save his country. Why is that? Was it you who wanted to come up with a brilliant plan to save everyone? I don't think you have enough wits for that."

"This is why I don't trust you. You're rude. To everyone. You think you can walk in here and be rude to everyone just because we need your help?"

"Yes. I can, actually. And I'm not mean to everyone, just fools who are unjustly in power. Now, can you tell your guard to stop spying on me? I'm not dense, and I don't enjoy him watching me bathe."

How did he find out? Perhaps Daniel wasn't as inconspicuous as I has hoped he'd be.

I gave a small nod, Samuel walked away. I felt like such a fool. I may have been dumb, but that didn't make him any less of an arrogant jack ass.

I found Mavis in the bathroom in our chambers. She was soaking in bubbles. The room smelled like fresh soap.

"Oh, I'm sorry! Didn't know you were here!" I shielded my eyes. She sat up in the big tub.

"I'm sorry, Zander. Didn't expect you to be back. You can't see much though, you're alright."  I unshielded my eyes.  She sank down in the tub, the bubbles were well up to her collar bone.

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, my apologizes. Just a bit of stomach cramps."

"Don't apologize, I just wanted to make sure you were alright. Do you feel better?"

"A hot bath helps, yes. Did you see Samuel?"

"I did, you gave him permission to be around the kids?"

"Zander. You are being ungodly paranoid. He is here to help."

"I don't know about that." I said.

"Look, I love you, you're my best friend. But you have to drop this. Can you hand me that cloth behind you and turn around?"

I did as she requested. She dried off her body and hair and wrapped it around her.

"Please, do not obsess over Samuel. He's gonna help us then go. There's more important things you should have on your mind."

"Like?"

"Like convincing your mom to take the tassels of your coronation outfit."

"You saw it? Ugh. I was hoping the tailor would fix that."