Chapter 21

The ride was bumpy and nauseating. The chickens were loud and I swear they never slept. I couldn't wait to be back in my bed at the castle. A real bed. No more floors. Just a cushy dream. I never thought I'd miss something so simple.

Samuel still seemed irritated about the chicken ride. He was confusing. His touching and holding me hadn't happened since the mind. I wonder if I upset him somehow. How would I approach him about that?

"Samuel. I-."

"What is it now?" He complained. A chicken feather flew in his mouth. He forced it out with a pressured wheeze.

"I was just wondering how you are." I said.

"How am I? I wasted my money getting a ride on this chicken cart when we could be riding comfortably on two stallions."

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't condone you stealing. No matter who it's from." I explained.

He sighed.

"You're right. You're a good person, Princey."

"Hey! That doesn't mean you're not. You care about people too." I said.

"Do I now? Please do tell. Who do I care about?"

"Well. You helped me several times. And saved me. Several times."

"So you're saying I care about you?"

"Are you saying you don't?"

He scoffed.

"Yeah, Princey. You're right. I do care about you." He admitted.

I felt my cheeks get hot. I was blushing. I hoped he didn't notice.

"It's alright to care about people, Samuel." I said.

"It's hard. For me to open up sometimes, let myself feel something. Every time I do something bad happens." He said.

"Well, nothing bad has happened yet. I never thought I would. But I care about you too." I put my hand on his leg. It was immediately thrown off by a large bump in the road.

"Yer fellas alright back there? Oh wait, I don't care! Ahahaha!" Laughed the Chicken Man.

"A ray of sunshine, isn't he?" Samuel laughed.

"Oh, yes. Very much so." I joked.

Samuel fell asleep on my shoulder every night on our ride to the sea. As did I fall asleep on his.

After what felt like forever, we made it to our destination.

"Yer will have to walk the rest of the way. Down the south road. Yer will find the port town."

"Thank you for everything, sir."

"Yer. Just scram." He grunted.

We walked to the sea town. It was beautiful. The sea rushed by the peer with a gentle roar. The town smelled lightly salty. Boats pulled into the harbor. Small fishing boats, and large ships, you name it.

"We're so close." Said Samuel.

"We are. It's such a relief to be out of that chicken cart."

"I agree. When it gets dark out, and when everyone's gone, I think I might take a dip in the sea. You know, to clean off." He plucked several stray feathers off his clothes.

"Good idea."

"I was thinking maybe tonight you could join me." He said.

"Oh, to keep guard?" I asked.

"No, Zander. Not quite." He stepped a bit closer. His beautiful eyes examined me.

I began to blush once again. My heart thumped hard in my chest. My stomach twisted with anxiety. His words didn't feel real.