Chapter 27

She took our arms and pulled us into the water. She held one of our hands on each side of her. We held our breath as she pulled us through the dark sea. She swam fast, and dragged us with her. We held our breath.

"As long as you have my hand, you can breathe." She said.

I took in a little breath. She was right. My breathing was normal, water didn't fill my lungs. It was incredible. I opened my eyes, water didn't sting them. I felt like I could swim. I imagined what it would be like during the day. Seeing all the sea creatures, and the mysteries that remain at the bottom of the sea. It sounded like a peaceful existence.

In the darkness, we began to see the blue light. She followed it. By the large bones on the sand floor, there was the element of the body. A blue, glowing orb. It was larger than the previous ones. It was protected by the dragon bones itself, planted right in its rib cage.

The aggressive sea plants swatted. It surrounded the bones, one on each side of the remains. We swam closer.

Swat!

The seaweed slapped me and Samuel out of the mermaid's hands. We were separated, I didn't know how to breathe or swim. I slipped into my panic.

The seaweed began to yank her down. It tightened his grip around her tail and plunged her down to the sea floor. Samuel pulled out his small knife and sliced the seaweed.

It then came for him, almost as if it was angry. The mermaid grabbed his arms and pulled as hard as she could to get him out. He took a deep breath when her hands touched his arms. He released himself from her and finished chopping down the aggressive plant. She reached for my hand. She touched it, giving me the ability to breathe once more.

Samuel battled the seaweed. The small knife slipped out of his hands and sank it to the bottom. He screamed.

I had to do something. The mermaid and I swam towards the knife. I picked it up and attempted to cut the seaweed off him. I chopped and chopped until it loosened its tight grip. He managed to temporarily swim away before pulling him down again. I saw the blue orb inside the bones. I had to get it.

I dragged the mermaid with me, I felt bad, but I needed to do this. To save Samuel. I pushed through the bones of the rib cage. I was inside the skeleton of the dragon. The orb was brighter the closer I had gotten to it. It appeared almost buried in the sand. I started digging with the one free hand I had. The mermaid helped with her other hand. It was buried deep. I heard a scream come from Samuel. He was completely entangled with the seaweed, it's grip would not loosen. Another vine of seaweed was coming right for us. We kept digging. I hurried and scooped the orb out of the sandy bottom. I released my other hand from the mermaid to pick it up. I stabbed the knife into the center of the body. The blue got brighter, before flying above the water and disappearing from my hands.

The seaweed went dead and limp. It released Samuel. The sea fell pitch black once again. The mermaid reached for our hands and we began to swim to shore. It was long, and I couldn't imagine how tiring it was for her. When she got us to shore, we thanked her.

"Thank you. We appreciate everything you have done for us. Is there any way we can repay you? Gold? Jewels?"

"I only want peace for my people. Please be better rulers than your parents. Your majesties. And when you get greedy, do not come for the seas." She said in her gentle voice.

"You have my word. It will never happen." Samuel kneeled down to her.

She looked at both of us separately, and nodded.

"Farewell, kings." She ducked her head below the water and disappeared.

"How did she know? That we were kings?" I asked.

"Mermaids can sometimes read minds. They're special creatures with amazing abilities. But they hide."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because humans are terrible. You don't know how lucky we are that we got her help." Said Samuel.

"Well, we got the three parts, now what? I don't see any dragon." I questioned.

"We need to perform a spell now."

"Great, but first things first. Where the heck are we? At least we're on shore. But where?"

Samuel walked up the beach and carefully examined his surroundings.

"Wait a minute." He said. He walked faster up the beach.

"Wait for me!" I chased after him. We climbed through a path of large rocks that separated the beach from the rest of the town. On the rocks facing the sea, there was a castle. To the left down the beach, there was a pier with docks and a harbor. Very few boats were there.

"I can't believe it." Said Samuel in complete awe.

"What? What is it?"

"I'm home." He said.