Chapter 2

I fumbled to get dressed and freshen up quickly before preparing to go down to the throne room. We went down together and greeted my parents, both sitting in their thrones.

"How are the newly weds?" Asked my father.

"Great, father. So in love." I smiled. Mavis let a small grin slip.

"Lovely. Follow us to the strategy room."

We traveled down the long hallway to a guarded room. A long table sat, the room filled with books and charted maps. It had no windows and was well guarded. They shut the door behind us and had guards on both sides of the door.

General Link was waiting for us.

"Good day, your majesties." He bowed to my parents first, then to me and Mavis.

"Good morning, General. Pleased to be in your company, do tell what brings me and my husband here on this fine morning?" Said Mavis.

"Well, now as you are married and are vital to your kingdoms success, we agree it's time you be here to hear the plans of attack." General Link said.

"Great. Shall we begin?" Asked Mavis, taking a seat.

He began from the beginning. The first battle all the way to now. From the list of needed supplies to the number of casualties. Mavis had full concentrated on his words. She was unbelievably intelligent.

He had a map out that was almost as large at the table. It was an accurate depiction of the land, and all nine of the kingdoms.

"We are now working on getting help from other kingdoms from across the sea. I have sent a team out there to investigate and see if they were capable of joining the efforts, but Vendov is persistent. We are unaware of the ally's they are making."

"Sounds brilliant to me." I added. The general continued to talk. Mavis was a natural, she was perfect. Unlike me who couldn't handle wearing an itchy costume for more than a few hours.

A few hours in I began to get a headache. So many words being thrown at us, things Mavis seemed to understand better than I ever could.

"A night strike. Attack their ships, destroy their supplies. They seem to have an abundance of supplies. We must find out where it's coming from  quickly and attack." Mavis said.

I thought my parents would be appalled by her assertiveness, but they admired it.

After the meeting was over and we went to lunch I complimented her.

"You were so good in there. How do you do it?"

"Well you see, I'm representing my kingdom right now. Just me. My parents went back home. So I have to do what I can here. I did my research. I think General Link has some brilliant ideas. So did your father."

"You did too."

"Thank you, Zander. This afternoon I'm off to an orphanage if you care to join. Have to make a good impression on your kingdom. And besides, who doesn't love children?"

Children. One day my parents are going to be asking for grandkids. More than ask, they'll push for it. To birth more royals. What an odd day that'll be. Having kids with Mavis. I can see raising them, but sex with her? That'll be an odd day.

The orphanage was gloomy, but not as dirty as I expected. Guards followed me and Mavis inside to the crowded lot. A group of women ran the orphanage. Their dresses were all long and grey. They were friendly when we greeted them, then we got a chance to meet some of the kids. Their age ranged, from babies to around fifteen. Of course, Mavis was a natural with them. They loved her instantly. She passed out sweet treats and candies to all of them.

She was a flawless woman in every way. Beautiful, kind, smart, funny. She was unarguably perfect. Which rose the question in my mind. Why don't I have feelings for her? She's everything any man could ask for. Why doesn't my heart skip a beat for her? Perhaps there was something wrong with me, I thought.

We went to the back and played with some of the children outside. The yard was large and fenced in. There were a variety of games I didn't indulge in as a kid such as hop scotch and ball. The children were playing and laughing all around us. The day was sunny, perfect conditions for outdoor play.

"Pass it to me, Johnson!" Said Mavis, playing with a group of kids.

One of the woman who ran the orphanage approached me with a bow.

"Your majesty, thank you and your wife for being so generous as to visiting these kids. It brings us and them great joy for your presence."

"Of course, anything for our people. We want to spread as much happiness as we can through these hard times."

Boom!

Out of no where, the ground shook. There was an explosion. The orphanage building erupted like a deadly volcanic eruption. Debris of the building everywhere. I was knocked down to the ground along with everyone else. My ears rang, my eyes scattered for Mavis. Haunting screams of children in pain stung my ears. Mavis was on the ground by two children who began to cry. She held them under her arms as they screamed. The guards ran up to me.

"We must get you out of here! There's an attack!" He pulled me away from the pile of fallen debris. The inside was on fire, the building was a pile of smokey rubble.
Another guard ran over to Mavis and picked her off the ground and dragged her away. The children screamed louder.

"Let me go! There are children inside! Please let me help them! Please!" She pleaded and pulled from his grass. His grip was tighter than hers.

"We must go! Now!"

They abandoned the carriage and flung us on each one of their horses. Mavis resisted.

"The children! Please!"

"We can send others to come back and help them, but we need to go now! Go!" Insisted the guard. The horse began to gallop father from the village and towards the castle. The bright flamed swallowed what was left of the orphanage. I watched Mavis's face turn pale. Her eyes locked on the frightening scene behind her that we were running from.