Chapter 17

The sun rose. It felt like it was a cruel reminder of the events of the night before. The screaming slowed and slowed until it stopped. My ears ached. We were exhausted. Samuel was still holding me.

"It stopped. It's alright. It wasn't real." He comforted me with his soft voice and even softer touches.

"I know. Thank you." I said.

"Maybe we should sleep. We didn't sleep at all last night." Samuel suggested. He had never suggested taking a break before.

"No, we can't. We can't risk being on this mountain before nightfall again. We can't do that to ourselves." I reluctantly pulled out from Samuel's arms. His eyes were bloodshot, bags underlined his eyes. I'm sure I looked just as rough, if not worse.

"Alright. Let's go, Princey."

We continued the hike up the mountain. For most of it, very little words were spoken.

"Samuel?" I said.

"Yes?" He replied.

"Did you hear any voices?"

"I heard the same voice you did, yes." He said.

"Why was it just Mavis's voice?"

"Because you love her." He said.

"Why wasn't there a voice for you? Why did the mind only mess with me?"

"Well, I guess it's because there's no one I love left." He said.

"No one?"

"Not really. My father died recently. My mother has been dead since I was young. No siblings."

"No friends? Or. Partners?"

"None that I love. Sometimes being alone works out, that way you don't hear voices on a possessed mountain." He said.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

My body ached. I was exhausted. At the top of the mountain, there was a flat like surface. Not what I expected for the peak of a mountain. Small stones aligned around a much larger stone in the center of the flat land. They were dark. They had sword marks stabbed in the rocks.

"I've read about this. We need to go inside the mountain."

"Inside? How?"

Samuel took out his sword, and stabbed the stones in a pattern below him. The main stone moved. It opened up a tunnel facing downward.

"Now what?"

"We jump down." He said.

"Jump down? Jump down that? It's pitch black down there, we can't see a thing. Who knows what's down there!"

"Don't be a baby. We've survived worse."  He said.

He took a breath, hovered over the edge, and then leapt down the dark hole. I heard him land with a soft crash.

"Its not a long jump. Come down." He shouted.

I took a breath and plunged down the hole of mystery. I landed on my behind with a crash. I pushed myself off the ground. I couldn't see anything, it was darker than the night before.

Samuel lit a match he had in his satchel. There were two tunnels. Two paths. They were identical. Both were dark and creepy.

"Which one do we go down?"

"I don't have anything on this. Lucky guess?"

"It's a half and half shot! What if we get it wrong? Do we die?" I jumped.