Chapter 6

I began to get more anxious about Samuel's presence. I didn't know what it was, besides his delight in tormenting me anytime we were near each other.

It was late one night. I had a private meeting with my personal guard, Daniel. He has been patrolling mine and Mavis's chambers for weeks.

"I have a special mission for you." I whispered in the dark room of the library where I instructed him to meet me.

"What is it, your highness?"

"I need you to keep an eye on King Samuel Skyes. Report anything suspicious he does directly to me. Anything at all. Understand? You are my most trusted guard, please help me with this."

"Of course, sir. I will be discreet." He bowed.

I slipped him a few gold pieces.

"Your majesty, this is not necessary."

"Take it. Please. I appreciate what you are doing."

I slipped it into his hands. He escorted me to my room and then began his mission.

My parents were absolutely charmed by Samuel. He told them about his family history and the life in his kingdom.

"Its quite beautiful, I admit. Right by the Silver Sea overlooking beaches. The moon shines so bright over the ocean water at night. We always say the moon watches over our kingdom and protects us from harm." Boasted Samuel over the dinner table.

"That sounds lovely. Here is pretty flat land and some forests. It takes a good bit to reach the ocean." Said Mavis, eating her potatoes.

"It's good for expanding your kingdom. No worries about water and rocks getting in the way of building things. You have a great kingdom. The architecture to your castle is marvelous." He sipped his wine.

'Your castle is marvelous'? Who was this guy? What was he trying to pull?

"Sorry I'm late!" Charles bursted in.

"Oh, Charles. I forgot you were here." Mavis lowered her head and took a big drink of wine.

"Poor me a glass too." He told one of the servants.

"Good evening, Charles." Greeted my mother.

"Hello. Who are you?" He looked at Samuel.

"I'm King Samuel Skyes from the Mullis islands. Who might you be?"

"Sir Charles Barke, from Belmonte. You traveled a long way to be here, didn't you?"

The servant poured him a glass.

"I did. I am honored to help this kingdom. What is your presence bringing?"

"Comfort to the queen, of course. We are dear friends." Charles took a sip of his drink.

"Comfort? A dead peacock could bring her more comfort." He chuckled.

"What does that mean? Are you calling me incompetent?"

"More incompetent than a dead peacock, yes." He said.

"Alright. This is a dinner of peace. The fighting is not within the castle, so do not bring it in here." Announced Mavis, attempting to clear the tense air.

For once, I was on Charles side. Sure, he was a rich fool, but Samuel's attitude was unnecessary.

"Marvelous dinner. I will be going to my chambers now." Announced Samuel.

Good, I thought.

"Sleep well." Charles waved sassily.

"Sleep well, your majesty... Oh, wait. You're the only one at this table who doesn't bare a royal title. From being from the kind kingdom of Belmonte, you sure are conceded. Goodnight." Samuel left after dropping his snarky comment on Charles.

He left, leaving his meal half eaten.

"Charles. We need his help. Do not anger him." Said Mavis.

"He was rude to me, what was I supposed to do?"

"He was unnecessarily rude, I agree with Charles." I stated. The first and last time I would ever agree with Charles.

"Even if he is rude, we be nice to him. He is our ally. We don't piss off the one man who can end this war. And not just end it, end it in our favor. I think it would be in your best interest to apologize to him. Immediately." Mavis stared down at Charles.

"Fine, fine. Finee. I think you need another glass of wine, Mavie."

I laughed. Mavie? She didn't seem to like that one.

"Charles. Go. Now. Or your stay here will be limited. As in, you will leave tonight."

He pushed out of his chair.

"I'm going. Your majesty."

He left the dining room.

"Kids these days. Why can't any of you just get along?" Said my father shoving a forkful of meat in his mouth. As if we were the ones who caused an international war.

I could feel Mavis's annoyance with that sentence. He complained about people not getting along with each other, as he refuses to get along with her.

"Do you see how rude he was? And you still don't think he's trying to be with you? No one is good enough for Princess Mavis." I told Mavis after dinner. We were in the library. She was searching for books she wanted to read the children tomorrow.

"I know, he was a little out of line. But he is our only help. And what's wrong with someone thinking I deserve high standards?" She said, browsing through the talk shelves of books.

"You do, but isn't it a bit suspicious that even your own husband isn't good enough for you in his eyes?"

"He is a bit much with it, perhaps. But it's something you'll have to look past. We can do this. Our coronation is so close. Samuel is the key to winning this."

I wanted to protest further, but I knew she was right.

"You're right, as you always are."

We browsed books and picked out the best stories for the children for the next day. I had agreed to accompany her to read to them.

It was mid morning as I entered the east wing of the castle where the children had been living. They were told to gather in the parlor for story time. I was running late due to waking up a bit later than expected.

My guards switched for the day shift, Daniel caught up with me.

"Hello, Daniel. Have you seen princess Mavis?" I asked her.

"I haven't seen her all morning sir. She has been absent."

"Absent? Is she alright?"

"Do you want me to send a search for her your highness? I thought she wold be with you."

"Search for her and search Samuel Skyes. I don't trust him."

"He's in the parlor with the children."

"He's what?"

I picked up speed as Daniel followed. What was he doing to Mavis and the children? Was he holding them hostage? What was his plan here? I knew he couldn't be trusted. All my suspicions were right.

We pushed the doors open, Daniel drew his sword from his sheath. The children screamed.