Chapter 32

"Daniel!" Mavis screamed, jumping off her horse. He was stabbed in the shoulder with an arrow.
The guards got closer. I joined them onto the ground, helping Daniel up. Charles dismounted his horse and we ran. We ran through the thick trees and twisted grass. My hands and legs were full of scrapes. We ran and twisted and turned until it was night. They could no longer find us in the pitch darkness. We kept going, deeper in until it was guaranteed they couldn't find us.

Mavis took the arrow out of Daniel when it was safe to stop. She ripped apart of her dress off to wrap his wound.

"Are you alright?" He asked her once more.

"Am I alright? You're the one who got stabbed with the arrow. Don't worry about me."

She wrapped his shoulder and cleaned up the blood with scraps from her tattered dress. Her dress was pink, and was once beautiful and full of lace. Now it was dirty and in shreds.

"Now what?" Said Charles.

"We keep moving. We need to put as much distance from the castle as possible. I'm sure they will start their search again by morning." Daniel instructed.

"I'm sick of running." Charles whined.

"Fine then. Stay here or go back, I don't care. When you get captured and killed don't tell them where we are." Snapped Mavis.

"Jeez, Mavis. Pregnancy making you moody already?" Charles rolled his eyes.

Mavis looked like she wanted to murder Charles. So did I after that remark. Maybe leaving him behind wouldn't be too cruel.

We continued onward. We stumbled upon a small pond down the hill at the edge of the forest. I sat at the top of the hill while the other three got water. The sunrise was beginning. The sky wasn't pitch black. We needed to hide soon, and continue on the move.

Mavis came up and sat on the hill by me.

"You've been quiet, are you alright?" She asked.

"Honestly. No. My parents are dead. Granted they weren't the best parents, they're still dead. My kingdom is gone. And Samuel.."

"Tell me what happened with Samuel. Is it true? Everything he said?"

I sighed.

"I'm sorry Mavis if I betrayed you. But yes. On our search for the dragon. I fell in love with him. He saved me so many times, and sacrificed his life for me. He had a hard time showing his feelings. He brought out my courage, told me to trust. But I guess that was all a lie. A rouse he set up to humiliate me then kill me."

"You didn't betray me, Zander." She put her hand on her stomach.

"Sorry, I haven't thought much of the baby. When did you find out?" I asked.

"Actually, Zander. I need to tell you something too. It's not your baby.. It's Daniel's."

"What?" I said, wondering if I had heard her correctly.

"I sort of fell in love too while you were gone. He was my personal guard and I got to know him. He's wonderful. I got scared when I found out I was pregnant with his baby."

"Don't be scared. I'm happy for you. I'm glad you found happiness in this cruel world. You really are glowing."

"Not much of a life I can offer the baby now."

"You can go home, seek refuge there. And if you do, please bring Charles with you."

"I'm afraid they would kill me and my family if I did. I refused Samuel, and the Vendov king. They are winning the war. They might try to take out our allies too. They want complete control. And honestly, we should've left Charles in that wine cellar."

"Agreed."

There was a moment of almost happiness. A sense of how things used to be. Mavis held my hand and laid on my shoulder.

"Im sorry Samuel destroyed our lives, and your heart." Said Mavis.

My shock had come to an end. I was angry. He betrayed me. Not only that, he killed my kingdom and is sitting on my throne. He tried to kill
Mavis and her baby. Why would he do this? To appease the Vendov king?

"I'm not going to let him get away with this. I'm going to find him. And bring him down on his knees as he did me. He will look me in the eyes as he is on his knees, begging. Begging for me to spare him. I am a king. I was born to rule. I was born to protect my kingdom, and that is what I will do."

I made a promise to myself, my wife, and my kingdom. Samuel Skyes was going to die, and I would be the one swinging the sword.