Chapter 13

We left the dark forest and returned to our horses. I was tired. I needed a nap.

"Aren't you happy, Zander? We did it. Step one complete." Samuel looked back at the forest as the light began to return from it.

"Only step one?"

"We've got a long journey ahead of us."

"Can we stop to rest?"

"Not used to physical activity, Princey?"

"I want to come back with a snarky comment but I don't have one. No, I don't exercise that much. Leave me be."

"Stop throwing a pity party, we can stop for a bit. Let's just get out of here."

We rode farther down a trail and to a meadow where we found a proper rest area. Down the hill was a small lake. Summer wildflowers we're growing and dotted the land.

We let the horses drink as I laid on the ground.

"I miss my bed." I grunted.

"Are you quite done?" Samuel said.

I let out another grumble of displeasure.

"Yes, fine. Fine. I'm going to take a quick dip in the lake to rinse myself off. No peeking, Princey. Try to resist."

"Peeking! Ha. Me? Never. That's gross. I don't wanna see you naked. Or any other penis." I sat up.

Samuel raised his eyebrows and gave me a strange look.
"I'm sleep deprived! Goodnight!" I turned away from him and laid back down. My face got hot once again. Why did I feel this way every time Samuel says something like that? With Mavis I feel nothing. Why does my stomach bubble with him?

He tossed his armor and clothes on the ground and dove into the lake. I could hear him splashing around as I laid, facing the opposite direction. I wanted to look. But also didn't want to look. And wondered why a part of me wanted to look.

Out of the corner of my eye I glanced. His arms were strong and muscular. As was his chest. His hair looked like it was spun of gold. His curls hung a bit down past his ears. I quickly looked away and pretended to sleep.

He came back out of the water and dried his wet body off. My heart skipped a beat.

"What's the next step?"  I said, my body faced the opposite direction of his.

"Next is the mind. It is said to be found in the Eastern mountains. Quite a bit father than it took us to get here. I think it's similar, freeing the mind." He put his clothes back onto him.

"Will we have to fight another possessed tree?"

"Nah, this time a possessed mountain."

"What?" I jumped.

"I'm kidding. I believe you have a sense of humor down there somewhere. Deep down. I'm dressed now."

I turned around to talk to him. His wet clothes clung to him. His muscles were visible. His figure was immaculate, I was skinny compared to him, his muscles were defined. He stood only a little bit taller than me.

"Thirty minute nap. Got it? It's going to be sundown soon."

"Already? How long were we in that forest?"

"Longer than we perceived, I think."

My nap was brief. It helped my tiredness, but only worsened my back pain. Samuel woke me up with a soft kick.

"Let's get moving."

"Five more minutes.." I whined.

"Don't be childish. Get up." He commanded. I did as he said. My legs were sore from riding on the horse.