Chapter 3

"How many?" Said Mavis, her arms crossed.

"How many, your majesty?" Asked the head guard in the throne room. He was kneeling to her feet.

"How many children are dead?"

"My team is still out there, your majesty. The fire has been stopped and there is no sign of the attacker."

"Do not report back to me until I have a number. You are dismissed."

He walked off, leaving me to console my wife.

"Mavis, are you alright?" I asked her.

"No. I'm not. Those were innocent children. They didn't do anything. They're orphans! Don't you think they've had enough hardship in their lives? If we weren't there, the children would be safe. They all would have lived."

"You can't blame yourself. You were just there to give them a good day."

"A good day? Those children do not have a good life. A good day, a good hour, is the least I could've done. But instead they ended up dead."

"You don't know that."

"I know the orphanage is understaffed as it is. Where are the survivors going to go now? Once they leave the doctor they'll be outside. Homeless. Then what happens when winter comes?" She was spiraling.

"Mavis, do not blame yourself. You didn't know. No one did. We'll figure something out. I promise."

Just then my parents bursted through the door. My mom screeched my name and came closer.

"My son! Is okay! Thank heavens! I can't believe those filthy bastards tried to kill you! They got so close!"

"I think that shows that they're threatened by the alliance. Or they're getting bolder. I'll talk to General Link to form a counter attack as soon as possible. They cannot get away with trying to kill the future king!" My dad said.

Mavis stormed off and slammed the large doors behind her. My parents looked at each other with furrowed brows.

I searched the castle for her. She was out by the stables near the gardens on the south side of the grounds. She was petting the snout of a white palace horse in its stall.

"Are you alright?"

"No, I'm not. Really not. Children died today! Innocent ones who live in your kingdom. And all your family is concerned about is retaliation! I'm so fed up with this useless war!"

"I know. It's okay. They just don't think the same. They've been wrapped up in this mindset for years. It'll be different once we rule."

"It better be."

"Three months.  Three months until the new year begins and we'll be called king and queen. Three days months to learn how to be the best rulers we can be. You are truly brilliant, and will lead so well."

It was tradition that when the child of a king and queen in Lafayette turns of age, they will be put on the throne, despite if the parents are alive or not. It was an attempt to keep the reign of heirs short, but I knew it simply meant I would be doing what my parents told me to.

"You'll be good too Zander, I can feel it."

She sighed.

"I don't know what to do about the children. We can't leave them to suffer. I'll never forgive myself."

"I have an idea. Bring them here." I suggested.