Chapter 24

After leaving the nosey crowd, Val found herself beside her father on his bed, an uncomfortable silence between them.

Then, her father sighed, making Val unintentionally flinch, resting his head in his hands.

"Go on, let's talk then." He said, his voice low. His 'eyes' gazing at her.

"What, what do you mean by, turn me against you?" She asked, already knowing the answer. "I won't turn against you."

"You, you took Cait- Your mother's diary, yes?" He asked, making her nod. "I'm surprised you never patched it up."

"You kidnapped Mom."

"Yes, I did." He sighed.

"Why?"

"Because I, I fell in love. But... that's an excuse, isn't it?" He laughed to himself. "Whether I like it or not, I don't like to be completely alone."

"But there's-"

"And they don't count, Val." He interrupted. "I don't like staying at the mansion, or hanging out with them. I just don't. Tristan's probably the only one I could tolerate. Was the only one.

"And now, he's gone and made me his enemy, Caitlyn's gone, and I only have you, and you want to stay here. Leaving me alone." He frowned, gritting his teeth.

"I, I don't want to leave you alone. You're my father, I don't get another one." Val said, scooting closer resting her head at his shoulder. "Not that I want one, because, I just can't hate you, even if mom did."

- "avenge me, Val."

"Nothing will make me hate you." Not any lingering spirits. "Nothing will make me leave you. I'll visit." She smiled affectionately.

"... Thanks, Valentine. I love you." Her father smiled, not completely convinced, but hugged her.

"Love you too, dad."

(Timeskip)

Her father said goodbye, leaving after supplying her fridge.

"So, is Tristan gonna get punished?" Peri asked, a small frown on her face.

"Probably, a$$hole deserves it." Jeff muttered.

Val would've nodded, but she couldn't really wish someone to suffer. It didn't feel right. Which was an awkward trait for someone who was gonna live with 'cold-hearted' killers.

"My brother's dead."

They looked to see Susan, her dark eyes dull and red.

"Like all of you, he wasn't in his right mind, and he left a little card for Toby." She said, moving past them. "Little Valentine, don't look so tense, I wouldn't hold a grudge towards someone so meek."

"Right." Val said, being dragged away to Sally's room for tea.

"Let's play." Peri grinned, taking her other arm.

Val smiled, nodding.

This was nice. She was happy and comfortable.

And no more nightmares either.

______________________
(No, it's not the end yet.)

Val was in the field. Again.

She frowned. This was getting old.

"So, my dear girl. You forgive him."

She looked behind her. "Mom." She whispered, wanting to hug her, but memories from last time made her hesitate.

"I'll never forgive him, nor would my friends." Her mother said, sighing. "You're a very caring girl. Come, why so hesitant?"

Val sighed and fell into her embrace, loving that it was so warm and comforting.

"I'm sorry, but I can't hate him." She said.

"I don't mind, darling. I love you. I'll keep the ghosts away."

____________________

While she slept, a small smile formed on her face. Everything was alright. Everything was fine.

She was happy.

____________________

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd a slightly unsatisfying end!

I'm sorry. It's the end of the book.

Tristan: Well, I'm dead.

Yes yes, there might be a small extra. But that's a maybe

Are you sad, not really, or was this still an unsatisfying end?

Please tell me your thoughts. I'd like to hear them

VOTE AND COMMENT.