Remembering II

When Caroline got home, her smile had been turned upside down. Her meeting with Damon, Elena, and Stefan had gone exactly like she remembered it. Except this time she didn't complain when they told her to keep Klaus busy tonight.

Caroline huffed as she opened the door. Their plan wouldn't work, but she couldn't tell them that. She smiled at her deception. If only they knew that the Originals didn't drink the champagne, and that she was protecting them. If only they knew the truth about the Originals, and about her.

She entered her house and went straight to her room. She dropped her bags on the floor and threw herself on the bed. She turned her head and looked Klaus' picture. She sighed and slowly her smile came back.

She thought of calling him, but she didn't have his number. She groaned when she remembered last time.

She had just walked into the Grill when she spotted him. She cocked her head up and walked towards him and his brother. She listened to his conversation with Kol.

"I remember her from last night. She looks like a tasty little thing."

"Say another word and I'll tear out your liver." Klaus replied to his brother.

Caroline smiled at his remark. He was defending her, how unlike Klaus.

"Caroline," He called out to her.

"Join us for a drink."

"I'd rather die of thirst, but thanks." She replied, crossing her arms and then turning around and walking out the door, but not before hearing him talk to his brother.

"Isn't she stunning?" He said, making her shiver.

"She certainly looks good walking away from you."

"I take that as a challenge."

Caroline smiled and continued to walk outside.

"Caroline!" He called out to her, following her out the door.

She stopped and turned to face him. "Be serious? Take a hint."

"Don't be angry, love. We had a little spat. I'm over it already."

"Oh, well I'm not." She replied with venom.

"Well, how can I acquit myself?" Caroline thought he could draw another painting or something, but instead she shot him down.

"You with your expensive jewelry and romantic drawings can leave me alone." She replied as she turned to go.

"Oh, come on. Take a chance, Caroline. Talk to me, come on, get to know me." He sat down on the bench. "I dare you."

The magic words, Caroline could never turn down a dare. She sat down beside him.

"Fine, so what do you want to talk about?" She asked, nervously.

"I wanna talk about you."

She scoffed at him; not really believing a word he said, until he continued.

"Your hopes, your dreams; everything you want in life."

Caroline looked at him, and laughed and watched as his eyes lit up at the sound of her laughter. She knew then that Klaus was different from the rest of the men she had known in her life. Still she shot him down.

"Just to be clear, I'm too smart to be seduced by you."

"Well, that's why I like you." He had said.

That stunned her into silence, no boy or man ever wanted to hear about her life or even cared enough not to give up.

Remember.

Caroline groaned. "I know. I know. Remember," She paused looking up at the ceiling. "Will you quit telling me what to remember?" She hollered into the space.

"Remember what, love?"

Caroline sat up and found Klaus leaning against her doorframe.

"Klaus, what are you doing here?"

Klaus stepped further into the room.

"I came to see you, love. Actually I came to see your mother."

Caroline felt fear grip her undead soul. "My mother?"

Klaus nodded. "She called and asked to speak to me. I was here when you came home."

"Why were you meeting my mother?" Caroline demanded, standing up to meet his gaze.

Klaus stepped forward to face off Caroline, making it very hard for her to breath.

"She wanted to know what my intentions were with you."

Caroline stepped back. Her mother was worried about her. She closed her eyes, mainly to keep from looking into his blue ones.

"Caroline, look at me," He replied softly.

Caroline opened her eyes. "What?" She asked sternly.

He smiled. "I have no intention of hurting your mother. I had a nice chat with her and I assured her that I would never hurt you or her."

Caroline sighed in relief.

"You really think that low of me?" He asked, disappointed.

Caroline looked up at him, and answered with a hand to his face.

"Not anymore, Klaus, not anymore."