10. Calls After Calls

The ringer on my phone kept going off about every 5 minutes and I didn't know how much I could tolerate it anymore. I don't think she would give up anytime soon, which is the scary part. Ever since last night, Veronica has been blowing up my phone, probably curious of why I decided to completely ghost her. I didn't want to talk or see her ever again and I thought I made that clear with her last night after I specifically told her what we did was a mistake. A big mistake. I felt this guilt weighing down on my entire body heavily. I knew as hard as I try to forget, this would be one of those things that'll be imprinted in my head forever. It was something I could've easily avoided but I didn't. I was so stupid and drunk. Being under the influence of alcohol shouldn't be an excuse to cheat, believe me I know but I just wish it hadn't happened. I have the same amount of blame towards this than she does.

I haven't said a word after last night, Sierra is already becoming suspicious of me. The only thing I could tell her was I wasn't feeling well and my head was hurting. I felt pathetic that it was the only excuse I can come up with, I felt even worse that she got up earlier than usual this morning to fix me up something to eat and drink for my supposedly fake illness. She's always trying to take care of me even though I didn't didn't deserve it one bit.

The phone rang again, this time my anger was triggered. I completely shut it off and placed it inside the drawer of my night stand. I dragged myself out of bed and made my way downstairs. The table of food was already waiting for me and Sierra was too. She looked up from her phone when she heard the sound of my footsteps.

"You're finally up, I was afraid you'd miss breakfast." She said with a smile. I walked over to her to give her kiss on the cheek.

The house was still a mess from last night, we did half of the cleaning after it ended and left half of it for today. The place wasn't completely trashed just small areas like the kitchen and backyard. I promised yesterday to fix everything as soon as I woke up but now since Sierra is convinced that I'm sick she refused to let me do any labor work.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked as I took a seat.

I didn't say anything because I felt bad lying to her but I nodded my head in response.

A bowl of oatmeal and a glass of orange juice was placed in front of me; Sierra's classic remedy for any type of sickness.

"You should've have drank that much last night, you know what alcohol does to you," She said.

"You're right..I can't handle it at all..."

"What happened to you anyways, you kinda left out of nowhere during the party.." she looked up at me directly. I froze in place. I was nervous of what her words were next.

I casually shrugged, "I just went for a few drinks by myself that's all."

"Why? Did something bother you?" She asked. I avoided eye contact with her because I knew if I looked up at her I would break. I'm an honest man and it's difficult holding back so much. I felt my hand shaking in place. I couldn't do it, all I knew was I needed to leave out of her sight as fast as I could.

"Is this apple or cinnamon?" I said pointing to the oatmeal, desperate to change the subject.

"You know I always make apple for you," she smiled reaching out for my hand. I

"You always know me best. Thanks hun." I said keeping a straight face. "I...uh..I think I'm going to finish it later I have to get ready."

She had a puzzled look, "wait, where you going? I thought you were off today?"

"I am. I just need to get in some exercise to relax a little." I got up from my seat and gave her one last kiss before taking off.

The good thing was she didn't question me any further. By that time, I rushed upstairs to retrieve my phone I had locked in the night stand. When I turned it on, a whole flood of notifications came down on the screen all at once. All missed calls from Veronica. She had called 57 times.