15. Lets Play It Safe

Throughout dinner, I had to sit and watch Veronica and Sierra exchange laughter while rambling on about their day and the stupid yoga they did together. I sat there quietly while my thoughts ate me up. I was contemplating rather or not to just blurt out the truth right now and get this whole thing out the way but at the same time I didn't know how Sierra would react to it and how upset she would be with me. I had no doubt that Veronica will eventually tell her sooner or later so why should I have to wait for the truth to come out on its own. Even if I wanted to admit to the truth, I wouldn't know how to say it. What do I even began with? Hey I was drunk one night and I fucked the person sitting across from you? That will only earn me a hard slap to my face.

"Michael..." I heard Sierra say to me.

"Huh?" I said snapping back to reality. I didn't know how long she was calling my name. She gave me a look, as if she knew something was bothering me.

"Are you okay?" She said to me. "You seem a little bit off tonight."

"I'm fine." I responded back to her.

"You never told us about your crazy day." Veronica spoke afterwards, looking up at me.

"Yeah, I would like to hear about it. You haven't said a word since you sat down." Sierra said.

"It was nothing big really...just something that went down at work." I lied and went back to eating.

"Well you have to at least tell us about it, big or small." Veronica said. "We're all ears." She smiled placing her utensils down, sarcastically giving me her undivided attention.

I smiled back with sarcasm, "I discovered something about a client that really caught me by surprise. It really deceived me."

"How so?" Sierra said.

"I discovered the house the person lives in isn't even her own house. She's leased under it illegally." I said looking directly at Veronica. She caught on to what I was talking about and she glared at me viciously.

"That is crazy....and how'd you find that out? Did the woman tell you herself?" She said picking up her utensils again and proceeded back to her food.

"I called the people she rented the house from. The house was under another persons name and the company gave me a number to the house. When I called someone different answered. It was weird." I laughed it off.

"Well did you tell someone about it? I mean if it's illegal she should be held accountable right?" Sierra said with curiosity.

"You know what, I should've told someone shouldn't I?" I said with a fake surprised gasp. "Who knows how severe the charges will be. Identity and fraudulent crimes are about what....two years I think."

I looked back at Veronica who was still holding a strong eye contact at me. "You know your laws very well Michael.."

"His father was a lawyer after all." Sierra freely blurted out. I wish she hadn't said that. I don't want any other information about me getting absorbed into that crazy bitches head.

Sierra's words caught Veronica's attention quickly, "Interesting...he must've taught you a few things or two. You know I was once a lawyer myself. Well technically I got the bachelors in legal studies but never went for the Masters." She chuckled.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Really? Didn't you used to do catering? What about your passion for cooking?"

Sierra looked confused to but she continued to stare at us back and forth while devouring her food slowly.

"My studies was way before I started growing my love for cooking. It was something I just thought of doing randomly till I changed my mind." She responded back.