13. Research

The following morning, the usual annoying alarm clock from my phone woke me up. I groaned realizing that today was a Monday, meaning I had to go back to my depressing job. Waking up early was the least of my liking but when money is involved I had no right to complain.

I washed up before getting dressed. I looked in the mirror and noticed the visible dark circles underneath my eyes. I haven't been able to rest at all these past couple of days. The guilt that's stored inside of me was eating me up still and now I have Sierra's words from last night circulating in my mind. I feel like a big ball of walking stress. I don't know how to calm myself down besides distracting myself with other stuff. For once, I'm thankful I'm going to work. I can isolate myself from these dilemmas for a while until my mind is stable enough to think again.

I sighed and dragged myself out of the bathroom. On my way out, I felt a weird texture beneath my feet. I curiously looked down to find a chunk of what seemed to be broken ceiling tiles. "What the-" I looked up at the bathroom ceiling and noticed one tile was slanted and out of place than the rest. It was the middle one that hung above the vanity mirror. I don't know what caused the damaged since this entire bathroom been remodeled just last month. I didn't have time to spend too much time speculating on it, I guess I have to repair it myself later on today or tomorrow. I placed in a reminder on my phone so I wouldn't forget.

I walked downstairs hoping to find Sierra and a prepared breakfast for me. But however neither of it was in sight. The kitchen was quiet and untouched. The TV in the living room was still on. I grabbed the remote and turned it off.

"Hello?" I called out. There was no response. That's odd she usually never goes about her day without making breakfast first. Huh maybe she had somewhere urgent to go to. My eyes then landed on a note that hung from the fridge. I snatched it and read it carefully.

Yoga for a bit, there's eggs in the microwave. Love you.

Yoga? When did she ever partake in yoga and why this early in the morning? There's always something new with Sierra. One day she's trapped in this house refusing to go anywhere, the next she's out doing some wild activity with a group of other pregnant people. Well at least she won't be alone for the day like she usually is.

I grabbed my car keys and the rest of my belongings. I left the eggs that were left for me in the microwave. I figured it was cold by now and reheating it would just take up more of my time. I grabbed a banana on my way out the door and locked the door.

**

"Welcome to the bottom pits of hell." I heard Louis shout from the distance, earning a few unsettling glares from the rest of the employees. I laughed at his idiotic remark.

"One of these days you're getting fired." I said to him. We walked together to the clock out station and placed our badges in the machine slot that counted our hours. When the green light appeared, we took our badges out and proceeded on.

"So how's your guilt treating you..." he lowly whispered.

I rolled my eyes, god I was hoping he wouldn't start with this today. "Good until you brought it up again." I sarcastically smiled.

"I'm sorry but it's crazy to me." He chuckled. I nudged him on his arm.

"Not helping at all!"

"Did you at least talk to her?" He asked. I didn't give a response because I didn't want him to know the bizarre thing I had to witness and experience a couple of days ago and how I screwed it up even more by calling the cops on the crazy bitch. I didn't know what else to do I thought that was the safest thing to do. After Sierra's allergic reaction thing, I genuinely got scared of the fact that she might even do more damage toward us.