39. Then Shoot Me

"Are you ready to apologize..." I heard her voice from the other side of the door once again. For the past hours, she's been coming back every 5 minutes asking the same question. I've been responding with anger and hostile comments because I felt like it was the right way to respond to an insane person who clearly doesn't feel any remorse. But I've realized it's just slowing everything down and making the situation even worse.

I've been locked in this cold chamber for a day now and it was clear no one was coming to look or find me. Even if they were, I wouldn't even know since she confiscated my phone.

The one thing I had my focus on is getting that door to unlock. I came up with one plan which I think would help me greatly. Since all she wanted is for me to agree with her or at least make myself seem the bad guy in this situation then somehow she'll let me out of this place. I didn't know what else to do. This is the only solution I could resort to before I freeze to death. The door is way too strong to be knocked down, there's no doorknobs on the inside either. I'm extremely exhausted, with fear and hunger taking over me. My only option is to go along with that plan for now. Well at least till I completely get on the other side. Once I'm out then I'll do exactly what I intentionally came here for. To put an end to this.

"You're right...I'm sorry," I said through my tired out breath. "I was acting out of character, I'm sorry Veronica."

"You can do better than that Michael. Not only did you break in but you came here with a weapon. My trust in you is very slim right now," she responded. I didn't know if she was buying my fake apology or not.

"I didn't want things to turn out like this. Maybe I took it too far. I should've listen to you from the beginning, I would like another chance...if that's possible." I said in a low and forced sad tone. "I don't want us to end up hurting each other." I looked up, making sure to hold eye contact with her so my words are the slightest convincing to her. She did in fact look bewildered at my sudden shift of emotions. She was silent for a minute and looked down at my body that was still shaking uncontrollably from the cold.

"You're just saying that...if I let you out you'll just attack me," she responded.

"You know me better than anyone...am I that type of person to do that? Honestly Veronica, I don't hate you and I'll never do anything to harm you. I've moved past the frustration I have for you, all I ask of you now is to let me go please...I'm hungry and tired."

She shook her head, still not convinced. I got closer to the door so I can get a better look at her face. "Look at me.." I said to her softly. "I'll forget this even happened. I won't even go to the police. I won't tell anyone anything. I'll even get out of here and never show my face if I have to..please let me go."

"I don't want you to leave me. The whole point of you being here is to be with me. Maybe you letting yourself into my house was a sign after all. We belong together Michael. Soon you'll realize it, you need me more than I need you," she said through a smile.

"Then you have to let me out. How else am I going to be with you. Let's just be together then...just like you wanted from the start...we'll start over I promise." I continued to persuade her. She furrowed her eyebrows and bit her lips, confused at the proposition that I just put out in front of her, almost falling under my trap. "Isn't that what you want. I'm willing to finally give that to you. We'll both forget this all happened. As soon as you let me out, all of that can happen. Doesn't that sound good?"

I saw her hand slid over to the doorknob for a second, she stood there fighting the battle of temptation.

"I'll be with you Veronica. You and only you." I said to her.

Then there it was, the clicking noise of the lock opening itself that I longed to hear. My heart nearly skipped a beat once I heard the lock completely open. The door swung open and Veronica with a bright smile on her face stood before me with her arms spread wide open. I can't believe it actually worked. Never have I seen someone be so fucking gullible in my entire life. If those words were the only words I needed to say for her to be head over heels for me again, I would've used that pathetic excuse a long time ago.