35. You're A Monster

I rushed to my car as soon as I got out of the restaurant. I dialed officer Lance's number. He'd be intrigued to hear about this. All the evidence we need is just waiting for us at her house and I have clear entry to it thanks to her brother.

"Did he talk?" He asked as soon as he picked up the phone.

"Yes, he confessed about her being responsible for the murder of the sheriff. He also told me about the many other males that she killed along the way," I said to him.

"I don't know it's still odd that he would sell out his sister like that, I don't trust him."

"Well I wouldn't be quick to say that. He seems genuine and harmless. He even gave me the key to her house," I responded. "If he was trustworthy he wouldn't have done that."

"Wait her house? Why would he do that?"

"Because she keeps almost everything in the basement of the house according to him. The video footage needed as evidence for the sheriff's death is also down there. We might even uncover all the other fucked up shit she's done and use that against her," I tried explaining. "That's the only way we can get her in jail where she belongs."

"She knows what we're doing that's why she's trying to redo her steps." I heard him say. "She killed the cashier from the store and erased all the security footages before we could even come down to investigate."

"So what does that mean?" I said confused.

"This means she's going to keep erasing anything that could get her caught. The girl isn't dumb. This would just be a whole wild goose chase. She's only going to play us at the end. The head chief officer is already pushing me to close this case as soon as possible if there's no hard reliable evidence," he sounded disappointed. Something is telling me he's going to let go of this and lose the small ounce of hope he has. I didn't want him to give up quickly because then that would mean I would have to take matters into my own hands.

"That's why we need to get to that basement. You could get a warrant—"

"Michael you're way over your head. Going into that house is trespassing meaning its a crime. I'm not going to let you take that risk. Evidence or not, your safety should be considered first," he responded. "Let me worry about the investigation and police work for now, okay?"

I sighed. "That's just another way of telling me you're going to give up. I can't sit here and let her get away with all of this. I'm sorry but eventually you'll just dismiss this case like most of you cops do and I can't allow that."

"If you do something that potentially gets you harmed or in trouble I'm not going to back you up on this. You need to rest, you're beating yourself up over this."

"I can't rest knowing that my life could possibly be in danger," I spat into the phone making sure he could hear me loudly and clearly. "All of her victims she fantasized, stalked, or ruined are dead. Where does that leave me?" I felt my throat starting to dry up and the words were getting harder to let out. The negative thoughts I tried to keep out of my head flooded my mind once more. All I could think about was being in the same position where most of the men she's been with are, six feet underground. "I don't think you understand...she's not going to stop until she gets what she wants. What if she wants me dead at this point?"

"Nothing is going to happen to you. The paranoia in you is just convincing you that. Your life is secured and safe. Just take a moment to think before you react."

"I'm going to the basement and getting those evidences. I'm sorry but it's a risk I have to take. I'm not going to live the rest of my life looking over my shoulder and allowing a psychotic person to torment me like this. My life may not matter to you but it does to me."