Phillip & Vivian Coates Interview

TRANSCRIPT OF TAPED INTERVIEW BETWEEN DETECTIVE BRANDON AND PHILLIP AND VIVIAN COATES ON THURSDAY THE 26TH OF APRIL, 2018 

ALSO PRESENT: DETECTIVE MARTÌNEZ

LOCATION OF INTERVIEW: THE HOME OF PHILLIP AND VIVIAN COATES

TIME COMMENCED: 4:07 PM

Detective Brandon: First of all, I just want to say that I understand this is a very difficult time for you and your family. We appreciate both of you taking the time to speak with us. This is my partner, Detective Martìnez. He'll be taking notes while we speak. The conversation will also be recorded. There are just a few routine questions we need to ask. Some of these might be repeat questions that the officers asked you when Caitlyn went missing, but I just want to make sure we cover our bases and have all the information we need.

Phillip: Of course, we're happy to help.

Detective Brandon: Alright, let's get started then. Can you please give me a physical description of your daughter.

Phillip: She was 5'8" about 105 pounds, auburn hair, hazel eyes.

Detective Brandon: Did she have any distinguishing features on her body?

Phillip: Not that I can recall.

Vivian: A birthmark. She had a rather large birthmark on her left pinky toe. 

Phillip: I forgot about that.

Vivian: I offered to pay to have it removed but she insisted it didn't bother her. She even started wearing a toe ring on it. I think it was less of a fashion statement and more to spite me. You know how teenagers can be.

Detective Brandon: It's a tricky age. When was the last time you saw your daughter?

Vivian: The morning before she went missing. I saw her at breakfast before she went to school.

Detective Brandon: How did she seem?

Vivian: Normal, tired, irritated that I was trying to engage in conversation with her at the breakfast table. Like you said, it's a tricky age. 

Detective Brandon: But nothing seemed out of the ordinary?

Vivian: No.

Detective Brandon: So that was your last interaction? You didn't see her after school?

Vivian: No.

Detective Brandon: And why's that?

Vivian: I was working late.

Detective Brandon: I see. And what about you, Mr. Coates?

Phillip: I've been traveling a lot for work. I arrived home late on the night before we noticed she was missing. Her door was closed, so I assumed she was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her.

Detective Brandon: Where were you traveling?

Phillip: I was in New York.

Detective Brandon: Where do you work?

Phillip: Windy City Solutions.

Detective Brandon: And what type of business is that?

Phillip: It's an IT company. I work in the sales department. That's why I travel so much.

Detective Brandon: And do you have someone who can verify that you were in New York?