Caitlyn

Colin was sweet, but he was also naïve. He actually thought that the entire school didn't know he was gay. Other than being the star quarterback, he wasn't exactly the definition of masculinity. I had my suspicions, but it wasn't until I caught him blatantly checking out Tucker Evans during 5th period chemistry, that I knew for sure I had him by the balls, so to speak. I know what I did sounds cruel: holding his sexuality over his head in order to get what I wanted, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. 

My mom was up my ass about everything: grades, college, life after college. She thought I seemed sullen and wasn't handling the stress, so I needed a cover to get her off my back. She was worried I wasn't handling things well and threatened to send me to a therapist, so I created a fake boyfriend to make her think I was happy. It's funny how society associates happiness with being with another human being. I didn't need a man to make me happy. My mother should have known that better than anyone. It didn't seem like my father had brought her any happiness in years.

I really did want the best for Colin though. I hoped that he would finally be comfortable in his own skin and just be the person he was meant to be. I'm not sure he believed me when I told him that. I couldn't blame him though. I did threaten to reveal his biggest secret for my own personal gain. But that's the thing about secrets: they have the potential to hold you captive, and once they're released, your life is never the same.