Vivian Coates Follow-Up Interview

TRANSCRIPT OF TAPED INTERVIEW BETWEEN DETECTIVE BRANDON AND VIVIAN COATES ON TUESDAY THE 1ST OF MAY, 2018

LOCATION OF INTERVIEW: THE HOME OF VIVIAN COATES

TIME COMMENCED: 2:45 PM

Detective Brandon: I'm sorry to bother you again Mrs. Coates, but we've made some interesting discoveries over the last few days and I'd like to ask you some follow-up questions.

Vivian: Of course.

Detective Brandon: Is your husband home?

Vivian: Unfortunately no. Should we postpone?

Detective Brandon: No, I actually mainly need to speak with you.

Vivian: Oh, all right then. How can I help?

Detective Brandon: You mentioned to us that Caitlyn studied at the library every day after school.

Vivian: Yes, that's correct.

Detective Brandon: Except, it's not. We spoke to the librarian and she said she hasn't seen Caitlyn at all this year.

Vivian: Are you sure? That's odd. Maybe once she received her acceptance to Yale she figured there wasn't really a need to study much anymore.

Detective Brandon: Well, that's another thing. She never got into Yale.

Vivian: What on earth are you talking about?

Detective Brandon: I spoke with the admissions' counselor. They have no record of ever sending an acceptance letter to Caitlyn. They said they never even received an application.

Vivian: That's impossible. That can't be correct. Are you sure they're not just trying to distance themselves from this whole thing?

Detective Brandon: Positive.

Vivian: I can't imagine why Caitlyn would lie about such a thing.

Detective Brandon: Did she talk about Yale often? Was it a dream of hers to go there one day?

Vivian: Well, not exactly. I suppose it was more my dream than hers. I never got to go to college you know, because I had Caitlyn.

Detective Brandon: Plenty of women have children and go to college.

Vivian: What are you trying to say?

Detective Brandon: Nothing. I apologize.

Vivian: You can't have a baby and go to Yale! College would have changed everything for me. I was so proud when I got accepted.

Detective Brandon: You mean when Caitlyn got accepted?

Vivian: Right, yes, Caitlyn. Isn't that what I said? Sorry, my brain is a little scattered these days. I haven't slept much the last couple weeks.

Detective Brandon: Understandable. Mrs. Coates, did you know your daughter had a boyfriend?

Vivian: What do you mean?

Detective Brandon: I mean, according to her best friend, and all the kids at school, she was pretty serious with the quarterback of the football team.

Vivian: Well...I knew that there was someone.

Detective Brandon: But when we interviewed you, you told us there wasn't.