Colin Thomas Interview

TRANSCRIPT OF TAPED INTERVIEW BETWEEN DETECTIVE BRANDON AND COLIN THOMAS ON MONDAY THE 30TH OF APRIL, 2018

ALSO PRESENT: DETECTIVE MARTÌNEZ, ADAM O'DONNELL (LEGAL COUNSEL FOR COLIN THOMAS)

LOCATION OF INTERVIEW: CITY OF HIGHLAND PARK POLICE DEPARTMENT

TIME COMMENCED: 12:45 PM

Detective Brandon: Hi Colin. My name is Detective Brandon and this is my partner, Detective Martìnez. We want to ask you some questions about Caitlyn Coates. Is that ok?

Colin: Sure, I guess.

Detective Brandon: How do you know Caitlyn?

Colin: From school.

Detective Martìnez: From school? Is that all? We were told you were her boyfriend.

Colin: Uh, yeah, that's true.

Detective Brandon: How long were you two dating before she went missing?

Colin: About six months.

Detective Martìnez: Six months, huh? That's like forever in teen relationship time. The two of you must have spent a lot of time together hanging out after school.

Colin: Not really.

Detective Brandon: That's interesting. According to Caitlyn's best friend, you two got rather serious pretty quickly yet you didn't hang out together after school?

Colin: Who said that? Emily? She doesn't know anything about our relationship. She's just a gossip. She was always jealous of Caitlyn.

Detective Martìnez: Why was she jealous?

Colin: The better question is, why wouldn't she be jealous? Caitlyn had it all: looks, smarts, popularity. Every girl in school loved her, hated her, and wanted to be her all at the same time. Caitlyn was Highland Park High. It's definitely weird without her around.

Detective Martìnez: So you miss her?

Colin: Yeah, of course. We became really close friends this past year.

Detective Martìnez: Close friends? That's not usually how you would describe a relationship with a girlfriend that you're hot and heavy with after just six months of dating.

Colin: I mean, she was hot, for sure, but she was also someone I could talk to. You know?

Detective Martìnez: Can't exactly share your feelings with the other guys on the football team.

Colin: Right.

Detective Brandon: Did you and Caitlyn ever fight?

Colin: No.

Detective Brandon: Never? Come on, Colin. That's hard to believe. Young love is fraught with drama.

Colin: I don't know what to tell you. We didn't fight. We didn't have anything to fight about.

Detective Martìnez: Did she ever cheat on you?

Colin: No.

Detective Martìnez: Did you ever cheat on her?

Colin: Hell no.

Detective Martìnez: Yeah right. A young guy like you. Star of the football team. You're telling me you never hooked up with another girl?