Detective Brandon

Well it looked like gay teenage Tom Brady was off the hook. I knew there was something about him that I just couldn't put my finger on, but now it all made sense. The only issue was, ifColin didn't have sex with Caitlyn, then he wasn't the father of her child. So who was? That is, if she was actually pregnant to begin with. There was the chance that Colin was lying, but regardless, if the media got wind of Caitlyn's possible pregnancy, it could throw a wrench in the entire investigation if not handled correctly. We had to stay in front of it. I didn't want the media finding out before we had confirmed if it were true, which was hard to do without the presence of a body. I had to figure out a way to confirm the pregnancy, and more importantly, figure out who was the father.

To top everything off, I received a phone call from the admissions office at Yale. Apparently one of the news stories mentioned that Caitlyn was supposed to start there in the fall. Another juicy piece of info to add to the media's sensationalized story: "Soon to be Yale Freshman Girl Disappears and So Does Her Bright Future." I was sure they were calling to try and get ahead of the scandal. Yale has a reputation to protect after all. But that wasn't why they were calling. Instead, they informed me that Caitlyn wasn't ever admitted to Yale. In fact, she never applied. It was yet another drop in the mysterious bucket of information into who Caitlyn Coates really was. If I could figure her out, maybe I could figure out her murder.

I had also contacted Phillip Coates' office of employment and they confirmed that he was in New York the day before Caitlyn's parents noticed she was missing. However, flight records showed that he switched his flight to a later one then initially scheduled; another odd bit of information that I couldn't figure out. It was hard to decipher what all these clues added up to or what direction they were pointing me in. It seemed the more I got to know Caitlyn, the less I understood about who she was and what happened to her.

The list of initial suspects, those closest to Caitlyn, was beginning to dwindle. We didn't have any good leads and time was against us. So I decided to head over to the Coates' home to ask Vivian and Phillip some more questions. There were quite a few holes in their story. I did, however, decide to hold off on asking them about Caitlyn's possible pregnancy until I had gathered some more information. I hadn't fully ruled her parents out yet as suspects. In their community, a teenage pregnancy was not a time for celebration. It was the type of thing that would bring them great shame and embarrassment. Maybe they were so enraged over her pregnancy that they did something to get rid of it: something that went terribly wrong. If so, I didn't want them to think I was on to them just yet. I also needed to speak with the sister, Avery. I was hoping she might provide me with a more honest view of Caitlyn than the one of perfection that her parents' painted.

While I headed to the Coates' home, Martìnez volunteered to go down to the hospital to interview some of Vivian Coates' coworkers and to confirm that she worked late the night before Caitlyn was reported missing. I figured he couldn't mess that up. And in fact, he returned with some rather surprising information.