all we have left- steve rogers (part 2)

As you landed and your eyes did a quick scan of the area, you almost flinched at the brutal sight. Tens of hundreds of bodies were littered across the square and blood was smeared everywhere, and the ones that were still alive were begging for their lives to be spared.

The God of Mischief himself was in the center of the square, grinning evilly as he observed the chaos around him. There was at least a hundred and twenty dead or injured.

If I run into one of those damn shapeshifters again... you thought to yourself. The pounding migraine giving you a throbbing headache served as a reminder of the aftereffects that letting it get into your head did to you.

"Shit," you heard Tony curse under his breath as the Tesseract was swiped away from him.

You chased after the guy holding it, and tackled it to the ground before hitting it with another one of your solar blasts and slicing its leg with your katana.

"Peter, take it away! Go, go, go!" you shouted and Peter slung a web, taking the cube with him and back to the NovaCorps building. He barely missed a shot from an enemy jet as he swung himself away.

A fearful crowd was slowly gathering around in a large circle, and in the center, one by one, people were being shot in the back and killed by Chitauri soldiers or tortured by shapeshifters for information on how to breach the security of the headquarters.

Despite the fact that you'd seen much more dead bodies in your lifetime than was necessary, it was worse to see it firsthand on the home planet you'd grown up in. Bile threatened to rise up out of you, but you held it down, gagging at the sight of blood splattered across the marble flooring, staining the water a crimson red.

"As you people can clearly see, this is what happens when you disobey me, and my army. Kneel or face the consequences," Loki ordered.

"No! This is unacceptable; you must cease all activity at once," a woman's voice shouted sternly from somewhere in the crowd.

Your jaw nearly dropped in shock when you saw a familiar-looking lady in navy robes step forward.

Your mother, flanked by two bodyguards.

"Mom! What are you doing?" you yelled, and she caught your eye before giving you a small, reassuring smile.

You're going to get hurt, you thought.

She was especially vulnerable because she was second-in command of the military forces, which didn't really help calm your nerves at all. Your heart picked up speed and started beating at a thousand times a minute, drowning out the sound of everything else.

"Enough of that bullshit, Reindeer Games," you spat. "We've had enough."

"And what are you going to do about it, Bird-brain?" he taunted.

"This."

Suddenly, a blast came out of nowhere, causing you to fly backwards. You closed your eyes and prepared to die, when you felt arms wrap around you and hold you tight, sheltering you from the ash and embers.

"Are you okay?" Steve's normally bright, sparkling eyes were clouded with worry, a darkness taking over and making him look more intimidating than usual.

"Yeah," you grunted, and he helped you up, putting his shield on his back.

"Come on, we need to get back to headquarters!"

"No, but---"

"What? You're going to die if you stay out here any longer," he warned.

"But my mother!" you screamed over the deafening noise.