within sight- steve rogers (part 1)

╒══════════════════╕

in which nothing can get

rid of his will to protect her

no matter what it costs him

╘══════════════════╛

so here's another Steve imagine! I didn't want to make this sound like all the other mission oneshots I have in this book, so I changed things up a bit lol :) going on a mission to the South Pole sounded interesting...just imagine Steve seeing penguins and trying to contain his excitement :-0

ALSO SHURI AND T'CHALLA BC THEY HAVEN'T MADE AN APPEARANCE IN MY ONESHOTS LATELY AND DESERVED TO!! enjoy this crappy oneshot :)))))

★━━━━━━✩━━━━━━★

"Y/N." Steve gently shook you awake and you stirred slightly. "Hey, Y/N, you need to get up. Tony wants us all in the meeting room in ten minutes for briefing on a new mission. Suit up and get ready."

"What's going on?" you mumbled sleepily, throwing an arm across your face. "Can I just please...sleep for three more minutes..."

"I know you're tired, but you have to get up," he laid a gentle hand on your shoulder and patted it a few times. "Come on, you need to get up now so we can leave."

You yawned in response and slid out of bed after a few moments, grabbing your suit that was draped over your chair and rubbing your eyes as you went into the bathroom to change. "What's the occasion, anyways? It's 3:30 in the morning. Couldn't he pick a better time to drag us all out of bed?"

"All I know that is we need to get there ASAP. I haven't been told anything else other than that."

"Well, damn," you muttered to yourself as you slid your suit on and ran a brush through your hair several times, not even bothering to tie it up because you were too lazy. "Such great timing we have here. I could've gotten my first night of uninterrupted sleep in months."

Steve was waiting outside your door when you came out, and the two of you made your way down the hall to the meeting room, where everyone was beginning to gather. To no surprise, most of them looked just as exhausted as you did.

Shuri and T'Challa were present as well when you got there. They must've arrived an hour or so prior and you wondered how early they had to have gotten up or what time they'd left to fly halfway across the world over to the compound.

They visited around once a month but rarely ever came to join you for missions and if they did it meant that it was an urgent one. This occasion would most likely be requiring all hands on deck, if so.

"We're being deployed in less than two hours," Tony explained as Rhodey clicked the slides detailing the mission's instructions. "HYDRA's stationed their base in Antarctica, so you're gonna have to pack several extra layers because temperatures are likely to drop below zero down there. I can't afford to have any of you freeze to death."

"So just how long will it take for us to get there?" Shuri spoke up. "If we're going all the way down to the South Pole, then...wouldn't the flight alone take a day?"

"We're taking one of SHIELD's helicarriers this time, which is twice as fast as a regular commercial aircraft: a one-way flight will take 9 or so hours compared to 18. Because the flights will be longer than usual we'll be gone for about 3-4 days," Rhodey answered. "Coulson's waiting with his team in Argentina and we'll stop there for the night before returning back home."