37.

Roswell frowns watching Bucky who scowls into his cereal, she's never seen him looking so broody. She sips on her coffee as Steve joins his friend who glares at him a little, Steve flicks Bucky's ear causing the former assassin to slap at his hands. This is not like them. At all.

"What's going on?" she asks them, Bucky clenches his spoon harder and refuses to look at her, Steve gives her a small smile though.

"Nothing, Bucky's just being...Bucky" Steve points out shooting Bucky a look before leaning down and kissing Roswell. "How about dinner tonight?" he asks. "I'll cook" she raises an eyebrow.

"Why? What's the occasion?"

"Can't I want to do something special for my girlfriend?" he asks her softly, she hums a little and then kisses the corner of his lips.

"Okay," she answers softly. "Dinner sounds nice" she offers glancing to Bucky. "Are you sure he's okay?" she whispers to Steve who nods, Bucky glances to them, sees the pure concern on Roswell's face, knows his mood is upsetting her and that just makes him feel worse.

"I'm fine, Kitten" he assures her, she looks to him. "Just rough night" she gives him a small smile as she moves to him.

"Do you need anything?" she asks him quietly, he shakes his head and takes her hand.

"I'll be fine...." he answers her giving her hand a squeeze.

"Okay," she whispers. "I have to get some more work done before Thor gets back with Loki" she releases Bucky's hand and touches Steve's arm as she passes him, shutting the apartment door behind her. Steve turns to Bucky who is now glaring at him.

"No" Bucky states standing, Steve sighs.

"Bucky"

"No!" Bucky snaps harder this time.

"We talked about this!" Steve counters then pulls back to take a deep breath.

"Why would you want this?" Bucky asks.

"Because I think it will make her happy" Steve answers. "Because I think it will make you happy..and that's all I want"

"Steve, you are talking about us sharing...." Bucky argues. "Both of us dating her, at the same time...that's....it won't work"

"Why?" Steve asks. "That's basically what we're doing now, only you don't get to have sex with her" Bucky shoots him a look, Steve sighs. "You and Roswell share a bond"

"As friends" Bucky counters.

"Who are in love with one another...." Steve argues. "And I know she loves me too, I know that....why can't you see that this is something that will work for us?"

"How would it work?" Bucky asks crossing his arms over his chest. "One night she's in my bed....next night yours....take our turns..."

"Don't cheapen it" Steve warns stepping closer. "Don't cheapen her" he corrects, Bucky purses his lips and looks down. Okay, that, yeah, he went too far. "You and me, Buck, we're not average men, our experiences, our lives, our friendship, it's not average, what works for everyone else, doesn't necessarily work for us....you love her, and I love her, and she loves both of us, this can work....don't you want to be happy?"

"You know I do" Bucky argues. "But I am happy....or I was until you.." he shakes his head and turns away.

"You know the plan" Steve points out. "If you don't turn up, fine...I won't bring it up again...." Steve grabs his jacket. Bucky watches him go and then buries his head in his hands. Steve is literally offering up everything he wants and Bucky can't get his own head out of his ass to see that he could have everything he wants. He could have Roswell as his partner, his lover, his girlfriend. Why is this so hard for him to get his head around? He presses his hands into his eyes and groans. What if it doesn't work? What if he loses her? What if he loses Steve? Then what?

.............

Bucky sits on the edge of his bed staring into his wardrobe. He keeps going back and forth on Steve's plan. All day he keeps thinking he knows what he is going to do but then his heart gets all twisted and painful and he changes his mind. Steve's plan is for Bucky and Roswell to have dinner. To go on a date to see if things would work between them. No rules. Just....date. And if it progresses naturally then they are allowed to go there, like any other date might. And that freaks Bucky out more. This could be sex with Roswell without Steve present. He can have dinner with her. Just a simple dinner. It doesn't have to go anywhere. It can just be two friends having food. He can do that. It doesn't have to lead to sex, or touching, or.....he's so screwed. He groans and flops back on the bed resting his new metal arm over his eyes.

"Buck?" Steve asks quietly from the doorway, leaning against the frame.

"Yeah" Bucky answers.

"You can say no and mean it" Steve offers. "I'm sorry"

"No" Bucky states. "I am" he lifts his arm and leans up. "I fell in love with your girlfriend, this is all my fault"

"It's not a bad thing" Steve counters. "It doesn't have to be a bad thing" he corrects himself. Bucky looks down at his hands and then nods.

"I don't know what to wear" he admits, Steve smiles at him and then nods.

"Alright....maybe something new" he offers. "We have some time to go into the city" Bucky nods and stands.

"It's not nothing to me" Bucky assures Steve. "My feelings for her"

"I know, I think if it was...I wouldn't have suggested this, it because I know you love her, as much as I do, that I think this can work...that this will make us all happy" they share a look.

"You don't want me to suck your dick, do you?" Bucky asks, Steve rolls his eyes. "Cause that might be a step too far"

"I hate you" Steve teases nudging him, Bucky laughs a little and snorts. 

"So how is this going to work?" Bucky asks seriously. 

"Hell if I know" Steve admits. "Just...gonna have to work through it together" 

"What if she says no?" Bucky counters, Steve purses his lips thoughtful. 

"Then....she says no" He offers with a shrug. "She's open-minded but this is something.....I don't think she thought about this, I think she'll consider it because we're asking her but...I don't know what he's going to say to this" Bucky touches Steve's shoulder and squeezes. 

"You'll be okay, even if she says no" Bucky whispers. "She adores you...that's not going away any time soon..." Steve looks to him and offers a small smile. Bucky will be the one to suffer is she says no. 

"It'll work out" Steve promises. "Whatever happens"