9 | Moody's Class

Their first class for today happened to be Defense Against the Dark Arts, which would let them get to know Alastor Moody's teaching methods. People say he's out of his mind – hence the nickname Mad-Eye Moody – but it seemed interesting to Y/n to learn about the ex-Auror. She was supposedly aspiring to be one, too, after all.

Like every year, Y/n and Fred sat together in that class, Lee and George sitting on the desk behind theirs. The four of them conversed, just like everyone else in the classroom, until they heard heavy footsteps enter the classroom. All heads turned to the back and saw Moody enter the classroom.

The professor walked up to the board and picked up a piece of chalk, scribbling his name on the board. ''Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror or our ministry malcontent,'' he said. ''I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. Goodbye, the end.''

Mad-Eye's fake eye spun around as he turned around to face the class. ''Any questions?'' The class remained dead silent, too stunned to respond to Moody's introduction. ''Now, I believe you haven't covered the unforgivable curses, have you? The ministry doesn't want you to know about them, but in my opinion you should. Can somebody tell me how many there are? Yes, Miss...''

''L/n,'' Y/n finished for him. ''There're three, sir.''

''Precisely. Did everyone hear Miss L/n?'' Moody asked and most of the class nodded their heads. ''Can you name one, L/n?''

''I know of the Cruciatus Curse,'' Y/n said. ''It's a torturing curse.''

''Correct again. Ten points to Gryffindor,'' Moody said, causing Y/n to beam. The professor opened a jar, letting a spider exit it and stretch on the desk. Moody took his wand out, pointing it at the spider and saying, ''Crucio!''

The spider seemed in immense pain and most of the class was shocked that Moody was demonstrating magic that could give him a one-way ticket to Azkaban. He let the spider go, then looked towards the class again. ''Now, the other two?''

Fred raised his hand high in the air and Moody pointed at him. ''My dad's told me about the Imperius Curse.''

''Ah, yes, you're a Weasley, aren't you?'' Moody asked and Fred nodded. ''Your dad would know about it, gave a hard time to the ministry a few years back.''

Pointing his wand at the spider again, Moody said, ''Imperio!'' and made the creature move around at the teacher's will. He even threatened drowning it, showing how dangerous the curse can be.

''The Imperius Curse is a controlling curse. Ten points to Gryffindor, Weasley,'' Moody said when he stopped controlling the spider. ''What's the third one?''

Everyone fell silent, knowing what the last curse was but not daring to say it. Y/n looked around and when she realized no one is going to raise their hand, she did it herself. ''Yes, L/n?''

''The killing curse.''

Moody pointed his wand at Y/n with enthusiasm. ''Yes! The killing curse, Avada Kedavra.'' The girls' eyes widened when he said the words that would activate the curse, though to her luck, nothing came out of the wand.

The whole class looked between Moody and Y/n in fear, having realized what could've happened. She almost got killed. It would've been an accident, but she could've died.

She looked down at her notebook, refusing to meet Moody's eyes, who didn't seem worried about the situation in the slightest. Instead, he went over to the spider again, pointing his wand at it. ''Avada Kedavra!''

Y/n jumped in her seat, looking at the – now dead – spider that now lay on Moody's desk. Fred, sensing her fear, found her hand under the desk and held it tightly. He did find Moody brilliant, but he was crazy and careless. Maybe he wasn't suited for teaching, after all.

''A curse that has been only survived by only one person, and I am sure you all know who he is.''

The lesson continued with Moody mostly talking about his life as an Auror, though much of the things he said seemed made up to Y/n. Nonetheless, the class seemed very interested to hear how it was out on the field. That could've been because they didn't want to do work, too, but Moody didn't seem to mind.

Y/n was pocking around her food at lunch as the twins and Lee were telling Harry, Ron and Hermione about how brilliant Moody was. The thought of the teacher's carelessness in class still lingered in the girl's head, which did catch Hermione's attention.

''Are you okay, Y/n? You're unusually quiet,'' Hermione pointed out.

''I'm just thinking about Moody's class earlier,'' Y/n confessed.

Hermione furrowed her eyebrows. ''Did something happen?''

''He almost used the killing curse on her,'' Lee spoke all of the sudden, causing the three fourth years' eyes to widen.

''He what?'' Harry asked.

''Did he actually do it?'' Ron asked with deep interest, causing everyone to look at him with horrified expressions.

''Do you think I'd be sitting here, alive and breathing, if he had?'' Y/n asked, pointing her fork at herself. Ron blushed and looked away, realizing she's right.

After lunch, Y/n had Hebology, whilst the twins had a free period. ''They joy of taking only three classes,'' they'd said, causing Y/n to roll her eyes. But then again, they at least knew what they want to do in their lives.

''We're gonna work on products in our room, love. Come find us when class finishes,'' Fred told her and Y/n nodded, then they went their separate ways.

Y/n wasn't exactly looking at where she was going on the way to the greenhouses, causing her to bump into someone and drop all of her books. She looked up and noticed one of the beautiful girls from Beaubaxtons.

''Oh! I am very sorry!'' she said, her words sounding kind of funny to Y/n.

''No worries, I wasn't looking at where I was going,'' Y/n brushed her off, bending down to pick up her books. The girl helped her as well, handing the Hogwarts student her books back.

''I'm Fleur Delacour,'' she introduced herself.

''Y/n L/n.'' The two girls shook hands.

''Where are you 'eading, Y/n?'' Fleur asked as she fell into step with the h/c colored girl.

''To the greenhouses, I have Herbology,'' Y/n answered. ''It where we learn about plans and what they do and such. The magical ones, at least.''

''Zat sounds interesting! I love ze subject back at 'ome,'' Fleur told her. ''Would you mind if I join?''

''I certainly wouldn't, but you should ask Professor Sprout first. I'm pretty sure she'll allow you, though.''

''Oui, I sure hope she will.''