38 | Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff

Y/n stared at her plate, playing with her food instead of eating it. She was nervous, since today will be her first official match as a Chaser – they'll play Hufflepuff – and was scared she would make a mistake which could result in the team loosing.

''Love, you have to eat,'' Fred said, snapping Y/n out of her thoughts.

''I'm not hungy,'' Y/n admitted.

'''Course you are,'' George said, pointing his fork at her. ''You're just nervous.''

Y/n shook her head. ''I know, but I can't help it.''

''I mean, if anything, Ron would be the one to fuck up,'' Fred reassured her.

''I heard that!'' Ron called from a few seats down.

''What am I supposed to do about it?'' asked Fred, causing Ron to roll his eyes and go back to his conversation with Harry and Hermione.

Before she could scold Fred for his words towards his brother, she heard her name being called, causing the girl to look behind her to look at her Captain. ''Hurry up with eating and come to the changing rooms, the match's going to start soon!''

That didn't help Y/n's nerves, but she said she'd be there. She thought she'd have more time to prepare mentally, but it seemed that won't happen.

Fred turned her towards himself, placing his hands on her shoulders. ''You'll be brilliant, love, don't worry, okay?''

''And we'll be there for moral support!'' George added.

Y/n smiled and nodded. ''Thanks, Freddie,'' she said and stood up, giving him a quick kiss on the lips before she caught up to Ron, who was already leaving the Great Hall. They tried to ease their nerves on the way to the Quidditch Pitch, which partially worked for each of them, more for Y/n than Ron.

''I'll be honest with you – this is not the best team we've had,'' Angelina said, causing Y/n to look at her in puzzlement. ''But I still believe we can win!''

''Well, that was inspirational,'' Y/n said.

Alicia chuckled humorlessly. ''I know, right?''

The team lined up, Y/n standing next to Alicia. Once Lee called them in, the seven of them kicked off, flying on the pitch. Y/n loved the feeling – the cheers of the crowd, the wind in her hair, the adrenaline from the game. She noticed the twins cheering along, standing next to Harry and Hermione. It felt foreign to be reversed, but she still loved the support of her loved ones.

The two teams got in positions, Ginny and the Hufflepuff Seeker flying higher above the rest. Y/n was flying next to one of the new Beaters and Alicia, as Angelina was shaking hands with the Hufflepuff Captain, before flying up. Madam Hooch whistled, throwing the Quaffle in the air. Y/n flew in, catching it and speeding towards the goal.

''And the match starts with L/n in possession of the Quaffle! She's speeding towards the goal – damn, that girl's fast – she avoids the Bludger and she's almost there – SHE SCORES! TEN POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR! GOOD JOB, Y/N!'' Lee commented and the crowd cheered as Y/n flew back, laughing at her success.

''Well done, Y/n!'' Angelina called and Y/n nodded in acknowledgment before the game resumed.

One of the Hufflepuff Chasers had the Quaffle, but Alicia was quick to retrieve it. She passed to Y/n, who passed it to Angelina once they were near the goal, the Captain scoring again. ''Another ten points for Gryffindor! What an amazing teamwork from the Gryffindor Chasers, don't you agree, Professor?''

The game continued with Gryffindor in the lead and most possession of the Quaffle. Angelina, Alicia and Y/n passed it to each other effortlessly, scoring as many goals as they could and keeping the Quaffle away from Ron.

Y/n had the Quaffle and was speeding towards the goal when she heard Alicia scream. ''Y/N, WATCH OUT!''

The Bludger collided with the hand she was holding on her broom with, causing a sickening crack of bones. Y/n didn't let go, though. She flied forward, as if nothing had happened, and scored the goal, causing the crowd to erupt in cheers. ''And another goal from L/n! But it seems like Captain Johnson is calling a time out, probably because of L/n's hand!''

''Y/n, are you alright?'' Angelina asked when Y/n landed, clutching her hand. ''Can you play?''

''I-''

''Of course she can't!'' Madam Hooch cut her off, looking at Y/n's wrist. ''Her wrist's broken! L/n, go to Pomfrey, she'll fix you. You're out of the game.''

Y/n's eyes widened, not believing this was happening. ''But, Madam Hooch-''

''She's right, Y/n,'' Angelina said, causing Y/n's panicked eyes to avert to her. ''You did well. Go get yourself fixed up, we'll take it from here.''

The girl gulped, but nodded. She knew she couldn't win this argument, there was no way Madam Pomfrey would let her back in the game. Besides, now that the adrenaline was disappearing, the pain was settling in and Y/n could feel her bone pressing disgustingly on her skin.

Y/n started her way towards the castle, still listening to Lee's commentary. It seemed that Hufflepuff was slowly catching up, now that Gryffindor was with a player less.

''Y/n, wait!''

She stopped, looking behind her to see Fred running towards her, clutching her forgotten broom in his hand. He panted slightly when he caught up and the two resumed walking.

''Why'd you ditch the match?'' Y/n asked, looking up at him. She was still clutching her arm to her chest, her wrist turning slightly purple.

''Your well-being is more important that a match, love,'' Fred said, then held the broom up. ''Besides, you forgot your broom.''

''Oh, thanks.''

''Are you okay, though?'' he questioned.

''Mentally or physically?''

''Both.''

''Physically, it hurts, but Madam Pomfrey's going to fix it,'' Y/n said and shrugged. ''Mentally, I feel embarrassed. I was taken out on my first match.''

"Hey, love, it's okay. You did great out there! Don't feel embarrassed, it happens to everyone!" Fred spoke. "Remember that time when I got a Bludger in the head?"

Y/n shook her head. "Yeah, you were out for two bloody days! I was worried!"

"Aw, of course you were," Fred mocked and Y/n rolled my eyes at him.

- - -

Madam Pomfrey had Y/n sit on one of the beds as she fixed her wrist, Fred pulling a chair to sit next to her. He held her broom and simply observed the process. Her hand and wrist were wrapped in bandages as a precaution, then the healer sent the two on their way, advising Y/n to not use her hand much.

George was outside by the time they were out, his arms crossed across his chest and leaning against the wall. He walked over to the couple once he noticed them outside, asking Y/n how she was. ''I'm fine,'' she'd said, showing him her hand. ''Who won?''

He looked uncomfortable, but sighed and answered. "We were doing well until you were sent out. After that we were a person less and Ron isn't the best at goal keeping, so Hufflepuff managed to score a lot of points. Ginny caught the Snitch at the end, but we were still fifty points short."

Y/n felt worse, knowing if she'd sucked it up and continued, they could've won. ''How's Angie taking it?''

''She's frustrated, but she doesn't blame you,'' George reassured her. ''It's happened to her, too. She gets it, you can't do anything in a situation like that one.''

Y/n didn't feel better at George's words, the frustration and disappointment still lingering within her.