57 | The Battle of Hogwarts

Being back at Hogwarts felt nostalgic. Fred hasn't been here for about two years, and the only reason he was back was to fight in a battle. How cruel the world is.

He and George looked at the sky as they stood on a balcony next to each other, each of them having their wands in their hands. The Death Eaters were going to arrive soon, so maybe this was one of the last moments of peace before it starts. And it was scaring Fred.

''You alright, Freddie?'' George asked.

Fred looked down at the people, seeing Angelina, Wood, Lee, Katie, McGonagall and so many more people – mostly teenagers – here and ready to fight in a war. Ready to fight for their future.

Smiling slightly, Fred looked up at his brother. ''Yeah. I think so.'' There was a moment of silence between the two, before Fred let out a breath and spoke. ''George, I want you to promise me something.''

''What is it?''

''If . . . if something were to happen to me-''

''-nothing's going to happen to you, Fred-''

''-please listen,'' Fred said and George shut up, looking at him, a sad expression on his face. ''If something were to happen to me . . . please take care of Y/n.''

''Fred-''

''George please.'' He took a second, but nodded hesitantly.

''Hey . . .'' Fred looked behind George and saw Y/n standing there, a worried look on her face. ''Did I interrupt something?''

George shook his head, a small smile tugging on his lips. ''No, it's fine. I'll leave you alone, lovebirds.''

Fred chuckled and Y/n laughed as George walked away. She approached her boyfriend, wrapping her arms around his waist. Fred wrapped his around her, too, resting his chin on her hair and rubbing her back.

''I know I'm a Gryffindor, but . . . I'm scared,'' Y/n admitted.

Fred huffed. ''Being a Gryffindor doesn't mean you can't be scared. I'm fucking terrified right now. How can one not be terrified in a situation like this?''

''Yeah, I guess,'' Y/n said.

They stayed in silence for a few moments, just enjoying the quiet. It felt comforting, considering both of them knew what was awaiting them very soon.

''Fred?''

''Yes, love?''

''Can we stay together during the battle? Please?''

''I wasn't planning to leave your side anyway.'' Fred pressed a kiss on the side of her head. ''I love you. So, so much.''

''I love you, too.''

- - -

Y/n squeezed Fred's hand, her other one clutching her wand tightly. They watched as the shower of blue lights rained above, hitting the barrier protecting Hogawarts. It was a matter of time before it broke and Y/n was dreading that moment with her whole being. Members of the Order of the Phoenix were in their positions and from where she and Fred stood, Y/n could see Tonks and Lupin reaching out to each other.

The barrier started to dissolve and black smoke flew on the grounds – Death Eaters – sending curses every which way. Flames burst in some places, causing everyone to run away in panic.

A Death Eater arrived at the tower they were at and Arthur immediately attacked him, not giving him any chance to react. Another one flew through the window behind Kingsley and the latter petrified him, sending him to fly back where he came from.

Y/n started running, pulling Fred along with her. They made their way downstairs, sending curses and jinxes at any Death Eather they came across. They came across a group of students that hadn't evacuated yet, so the two helped escort them towards the Room of Requerment.

A Death Eater appeared behind Fred, and Y/n pointed her wand at him, yelling, ''Stupefy!'' He got studden and they hurried the kids forward. When they made sure the group was safe, Y/n and Fred went back up and came across Percy.

''Hey, Perce, how's it going?'' Fred asked, sending a curse at a Death Eater coming behind Percy.

''It's going,'' answered Percy, sending a curse towards a Death Eather behind Fred and her. ''Hello, Y/n.''

''Hi,'' Y/n said quickly, sending a curse of my own.

A group of Death Eaters appeared in front of them, causing them to have to back up. The three Gryffindors took most of them out, but three Death Eaters were persistent, having each of the Wealseys and L/n duelling one foe. From the corner of her eye, Y/n noticed Harry, Ron and Hermione coming to the scene.

''Hello, Minister!'' Percy spoke and Y/n managed to take a glance at the Death Eater he was fighting with who turned out to be Thicknesse, the wizard who was appointed a Minister when Voldemort took over. ''Did I mention I'm resigning?''

''You're joking, Perce!'' shouted Fred as the Death Eather he was battling collapsed under the weight of three separate Stunning Spells. Thicknessee and the Death Eater Y/n had been fighting fell to the ground as well, freeing them all from the duels.

''You actually are joking, Perce . . . I don't think I've heard you joke since you were -''

There was an explosion, which sent all of them flying back. Y/n looked up quickly, noting the unstable boulders right above Fred, who was still laying on the ground.

''Fred!'' she yelled out, willing herself to apparate. Everything happened quick - in a second she was kneeling next to him. Putting a hand on his back, she apparated again, this time with Fred, back to where she had originally fallen and watched as the boulder fell right where Fred had previously been.

That could've killed him. Fred could've died.

''Ugh . . . what happened?'' Y/n looked down and saw Fred holding his head, looking around.

''Oh my Godric,'' Y/n spoke as she jumped on top of Fred, who'd rolled on his back. She could feel the tears streaming down her cheeks, but couldn't care less. She almost lost him. ''Are you okay?''

''Yeah . . . what happened? Why're you crying?'' he asked, concern lacing his voice.

''You almost died! The boulder almost fell on top of you!'' she cried even more, clinging to his shirt. ''Godric, Fred, I almost lost you!''

He was speechless. Y/n couldn't blame him, hearing you'd almost died must be tough. But it didn't matter. He wasn't dead, he was fine - alive and breathing, and right now, that was the most important thing for her.