26 | Swamp

The twins and Lee jumped upon the impact of Y/n's book on the table. They all looked at her, who looked extremely angry. "It has been two weeks since school started and we have learned nothing that would actually help us to pass our NEWTs! She's a terrible teacher!" Y/n spoke as she sat down next to Fred. ''And we don't use any magic! How're we supposed to pass the practical part of the exam?''

Fred put his hand on her back. ''Hey, Y/n, relax. If anyone can pass the NEWTs, that's you, love.''

''I'm starting to doubt that.'' Y/n sighed and gave her boyfriend a side hug. ''Thanks, though.''

''I agree with you, though, '' Lee said. ''She's horrible. Rumor has it, her punishments hurt.''

Y/n cocked an eyebrow. ''Hurt? How so?''

''Haven't you heard?'' George asked. ''They say she makes the people who get detention write with a quill that extracts their blood as ink and craves the words on the back of their hands.''

A gasp left Y/n's lips. ''That's horrible! Could she really be this cruel?''

''Apparently,'' the twins said.

''Godric,'' Y/n said, putting her head in her hands. Didn't Harry have detention with her? Why hasn't he mentioned it?

''Anyhow,'' Fred spoke after a moment of silence. ''We've come up with a new prank.''

''What is it?'' Y/n asked as she started putting lunch in her plate.

''Okay, so, the other day, Fred and I were playing with our wands, trying to see what we can do,'' George started.

''Then I waved my hand and said some random words and then boom!'' Fred waved his arms around dramatically. ''A swamp appeared.''

"So your oh-so-great idea for a prank is a swamp?" Y/n asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

''Well, yes, but actually, no,'' Fred said, confusing Y/n and Lee even further.

"You see, once the swamp appeared, we tried to removed it. And it didn't work. It took us good two hours to realize we had to say the words backwards so it can get removed." George explained.

"Wait, you're telling us you invented a new spell?" Lee asked.

"Technically," the twins answered.

"This is the first spell I'm hearing of that's contra spell is to say the words backwards,'' Y/n told them, causing the twins to widen their eyes.

"Damn, we're good Freddie, aren't we?" George said.

"Yes we are, Georgie." The two high fived each other.

"So who are you planning to prank?" Y/n asked.

"Umbridge."

Y/n stiffened when she heard the name. "Why Umbridge?"

"Because she's a new victim!"

"And we want to see how she's going to react!"

"Plus, it's not that harmful." Fred said.

George agreed. "Yeah, unlike her punishments."

I shook my head. "Just be careful and try not to get caught." I warned them.

"Oh, please Y/n, the only one who can actually catch us is McGonagall, and that's when she feels like it." Fred arguments and we all laughed.

- - -

A very high pitched scream rang through the hallways, causing everyone in a hearing range to stop dead in their tracks and remain quiet. People started moving towards the source, Y/n and Hermione going with the crowd after sharing a look.

The picture was amazing. There was Umbridge, waist deep in a small, but apparently deep, swamp, screaming about how disgusting it was and commanding someone to get her out. And then, not too far from her stood McGonagall, a pleased expression adoring her old face. People were whispering and Y/n could feel Umbridge radiating more and more dangerous aura every second.

Filch rushed to the scene, pulling Umbridge out of the swamp. Drenched and fuming, the professor yelled. ''WHO DID THIS?'' No one answered as Umbridge looked through the students, her face becoming redder and redder by the second.

''Professor Umbridge, I do not believe any of the students did it,'' McGonagall stepped in and Umbridge looked towards her colleague.

''Then who did it?'' yelled Umbridge. ''It must be those two red haired Weasley twins!''

''It was not them either,'' McGonagall said. ''They are currently in my classroom, finishing up detention.''

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows. She knew for sure that the twins did not have detention and it was them who did it. People started whispering, everyone thinking the same thing. Did McGonagall just lie to save Fred and George?

''Well, then, who was it?'' asked Umbridge.

''Unfortunately, I do not know that,'' McGonagall said, then looked at the students. "Off you go! Don't you have homework to do? I'm sure I assigned you plenty of homework, Smith!" The crowd started dispersing before McGonagall can say something else.

As Hermione and Y/n turned around to head towards the common room, the Professor spoke once again. ''L/n, may I have a word?'' Y/n nodded and bid goodbye to her friend, then walking over to her teacher. She walked past a still fuming Umbridge and a confused Filch, none of them knowing how to remove the swamp.

When McGonagall and Y/n were far enough from the scene, the teacher spoke. ''You are aware that the twins do not have detention, correct?'' Y/n nodded. ''You must wonder why I lied, I suppose. I did it because I know what that hag does to the students, but I cannot oppose her since she's been sent by the Ministry.''

''I . . . thank you so much, Professor,'' Y/n said. ''I'll be sure to pass it on to them.''

''Would you also mind passing to them that they'll have detention with me tomorrow, as well?'' McGonagall asked.

''Only one time?'' Y/n cocked an eyebrow.

''Only one time.'' McGonagall nodded. ''I might give detentions, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the pranks. Godric knows I need a laugh these days!''

Y/n smiled cheekily. ''Alright, I'll pass it on.''

''Oh, L/n, one last thing – what is the contra magic? I'll need it to remove the swamp in a few days time.''