48 | Didn't Feel Like Christmas

Y/n bade goodbye to her colleagues and teacher before exiting the classroom. Her last class for the year had ended and she was now heading towards the Burrow, where she would be spending the Christmas. She fixed her notes as she walked, yelping when walking into someone.

''Oh, I'm so sorry, Y/n,'' Tonks apologized as she kneeled down and picked up Y/n's dropped papers.

''It's alright,'' Y/n said as she bent down as well. ''I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings.''

Tonks didn't look like herself, Y/n noted. Her hair was brown instead of her usual bubblegum-pink. She had bags under her eyes and seemed overall tired.

''Are you alright?'' Y/n asked when the two stood up.

The Auror nodded. ''Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for the concern,'' she said, though she was not convincing and decided to change the topic. ''Are you headed to the Burrow?''

''I am, actually,'' Y/n nodded. ''Are you going there, too?''

''Yeah. We can go together, if you'd like,'' Tonks suggested and Y/n agreed and started heading towards the exit of the Ministry.

They talked about Y/n's Auror training and Tonks' mood seemed to get better as she told the younger girl about her own experiences as an Auror. Y/n could still tell something was bothering the older girl, but didn't bring it up. She only hoped her friend was okay.

Finally arriving at the Burrow, the two greeted everyone present. All Weasleys – aside from Charlie, who was still in Romania, and Percy, who was not on speaking terms with his family – were present. Harry was there, too, as well as Fleur and Lupin.

The night was spent in relaxation, the whole family spread across the living room and listening to Celestina Warbeck. There were multiple conversation going around the room, all about various topics.

''Y/n,'' Arthur called and the girl turned to him, not paying attention to Fred and George's conversation anymore. ''How's your Auror training going?''

''It's pretty great, actually,'' Y/n told him. ''My teacher said I was doing remarkably well, apparently. They're thinking of putting me to work alongside another Auror so I can experience the field.''

''I heard about that,'' Tonks piped in, having heard the conversation. ''I'm one of the people they're considering for mentors, you know? You might get lucky and get me to teach you the ways of an Auror!'' She seemed more cheerful than before, but Y/n still couldn't help but wonder what was bothering her so much.

''I hope I get you.''

- - -

Y/n sipped on her hot chocolate happily as she sat with Fred on the living room couch. It was Christmas morning, so the family was around the Christmas tree and opening presents. Everyone watched in amusement as Ron complained about the necklace he'd gotten from his girlfriend, Lavander Brown, on which were engraved the words 'My Sweetheart'.

"It's still better than the maggots I got from Kreacher." Harry shuddered at the thought.

It was well after noon when Molly had gotten up and started to head to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Y/n followed suit, wanting to know if there was anything she could help with.

''It would be lovely if you cut the vegetables, dear,'' Molly said and Y/n nodded, getting to work. Out of habit, she picked up the knife and started doing it without magic.

''Do you need any 'elp?'' Fleur asked as she entered the kitchen, noticing the two cooking and talking.

Y/n noticed the obvious displeasure on Molly's face upon seeing the blonde. ''It alright, Fleur, we've got it.'' The girl simply nodded before exiting the kitchen in disappointment.

''I don't understand why you don't like her, Molly,'' Y/n said as she continued cutting up the potatoes.

"I don't think she's good enough for my Bill. She's so blunt and superficial. She's only got looks, it seems," Molly explained with no remorse whatsoever.

Y/n felt sad that Molly had such a harsh opinion of her friend. "I met her when she came for the Triwizard Tournament and she's really nice. I think you should give her a chance." Molly didn't answer.

The silence between the two soon became awkward. Y/n went off to start setting the table so she can escape the situation.

Before dinner started, there was a knock on the door. It was Scrimgeour, the new Minister of Magic that had stepped in after Fudge had resigned, none other than Percy Weasley accompanying him.

"Harry Potter, would you mind if we speak for a few minutes?" Scrimgeour asked. Harry, not having a choice, nodded and followed the Minister to the other room.

The atmosphere was tense, seeing as Percy was back to the family he'd practically disowned – on Christmas, when he was most missed – but he wasn't even there for them. He wouldn't even look at them. Molly wouldn't look at him, either, and neither would the twins.

Y/n could feel Fred's tenseness as she stood next to him. He wasn't very close with his older brother, but that didn't mean it hurt any less. Squeezing his hand in reassurance, Y/n tried to be there for him in such moment, even if silently.

It had already started out bad – Tonks wasn't herself and neither was Lupin, though he was better at hiding it. Then there was Molly's and Ginny's dislike towards Fleur. Percy's sudden visit was just the top of the cake, possibly ruining the holiday completely for the Weasleys. Everyone had wished he was there, but now that he actually was, it seemed it would've been better if he hadn't shown up at all.

Overall, this was the first Christmas Y/n had experienced that didn't feel like Christmas at all.