52 | Magical Heritage

Miss Y/n L/n,

As you have probably been already informed, the Ministry of Magic is under new administration and with new admistration come new rules and regulations. For mentioned reasons, we kindly invite you to an inspection of wizarding puririty at the Ministry on this following Wednesday at eleven o'clock. Please do bring any wand you may posses and documents that may prove your wizarding heritage.

Dolores Jane Umbridge,

Head of the Muddle-Born Registration Commotion

Y/n stared at the name in disgust as she read the letter, Fred and George sitting across from her on the dining table in expectation to hear what the letter was about. She simply put it on the table and slid it over to them so they can take a look for themselves as she ran a hand through her hair, feeling the headache already forming.

''You can't go, who knows what they'll do to you!'' Fred as he finished reading the letter, looking at his girlfriend with a worried look.

''I don't seem to have a choice,'' I said. ''How am I going to prove my magical heritage? I'm a muggleborn! Maybe there was someone in my family who was a wizard, but that could've been centuries ago!''

''I'll come with you,'' Fred announced.

Y/n shook her head. ''You can't. They consider you blood traitors already. You coming might only make things even worse.''

''But-''

''Fred, she's right,'' George said, putting a hand on his twin's shoulder. ''If you go, who knows what they might do to all Weasleys afterwards.''

''But George, they might do something to her!'' Fred argued.

''Look, I don't want her to go alone either, she's my best friend, but maybe we can call someone else to go with her. I'm sure Angie wouldn't mind.''

Y/n smiled at her best friend. ''Thanks for the offer, George, but I have to do this on my own.''

Both twins looked at her, sadness filling their eyes, coming to terms with the situation. To be honest, Y/n was extremely scared. Who knew what they might do to her there. And on top of everything, Umbridge would be there. She felt sick just thinkning about it.

''I'll be fine.''

She wasn't sure who she was trying to reassure there - herself or the twins.

- - -

The hallways leading to the courtroom where the hearing would be held were extremely cold. Or maybe she was shivering because of her nervousness. It could've been both.

There were already few people sitting in front of the door, awating their fate. Maybe they won't even hear them out to trying to prove their cases and just throw them in the dungeons. Should she have said a proper goodbye to Fred, just in case they don't see each other in a while? Or . . . ever again?

Y/n shook her head, not wanting to think about it. It's going to be fine, I'll be alright. As much as she repeated the phrase, it didn't help as much as she hoped it would.

Sitting down next to a witch on the floor, she stared into nothing in particular, simply thinking. Would she actually be alright? Would the people sitting next to her be alright?

The clinking of heels came from down the hallway and Y/m looked up, seeing two people coming our way - a man and a woman. The man didn't even spare the muggleborns a glance, whilst the woman looked at them, a worried expression on her face.

Y/n met the woman's eyes met for a few seconds and her expression changed from worry to shock. Her eyes darted from the man in front of her to Y/n again and again, as if trying to process something. She mouter a word. A name.

''Y/n?''

She was taken aback. This woman knows her name? Y/n has never seen her before. Is she an acquaintance of the Weasleys?

The woman noticed Y/n's confusion and pointed at herself, mounting, ''Hermione.''

This time, it was Y/n's turn for her eyes to widen. Hermione? Hermione Granger? Muggleborn, Gryffindor, one of her best friends, Hermione?

Hermione - if it was really her - continued after the man, not turning to look back at Y/n. Thankfully no one had noticed their quick exchange, since everyone was too scared to pay mind to anything else.

Hermione was there. Did that mean Ron and Harry are there, too? Why are they even here? They haven't been seen since the wedding and all of the sudden they're at the Ministry? The most dangerous place right now?

Y/n's thoughts clouded her brain, causing her to space out from the whole situation at hand. The thing that brough her back were the screams of someone trying to prove that they have a magical heritage and the sound of two pairs of shoes - each of them coming from oppposite sides.

As the screaming man was escorted outside of the courtroom, two more men entered, along with a woman that had been previously sitting in the line of muggleborns. Y/n tried to hear what they could be asking and such, but no sounds reached where she sat.

It took a few minutes before the door burst open. The two men from before, along with the muggleborn woman and the woman that claimed to be Hermione, ran out of the courtroom, the woman grabbing Y/n's arm and dragging her along with them.

''Hermione, what's going on?'' Y/n questioned as the girl gripped her wrist wrist. ''What're you guys doing here?''

''We're looking for Horcruxes, one of them was a necklace that Umbridge had!'' Hermione explained. ''And I saw you and couldn't leave you there! Y/n when we make it to the exits, you have to run away!''

Y/n didn't know what to say as she let herself get dragged by one of her friends.

By the time they made it to the exits, Hermione, Ron and Harry were back to looking normal, but there was no time for a reunion as Hermione shoved Y/n into a fireplace, then ran after Harry and Ron, leaving her to watch as the three used the floo network to leave the Ministry. Y/n took a handful of floo polder and yelled out her destination, before throwing it on the ground. The last thing she saw was the face of a Death Eather about to grab her, before she was engulfed by the green flames.