19 | The Final Task

The twins, Lee and Y/n walked down towards the place where the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament would be held. Y/n and Fred held hands, the latter swinging them around playfully, causing the girl to chuckle. Fred and George were telling Lee and Y/n that, after months of writing letters and not receiving an answer, they were going to confront Ludo Bagman about their money. When they arrived Y/n wished the twins good luck and went off to find Harry. 

''Hey,'' Y/n called and the boy turned. He seemed extremely anxious, more than he was in the first two tasks. She opened her arms and embraced Harry, who was grateful for the reassurance. ''It's going to be okay.''

''I hope so.''

"I have my wand at the ready and I'm not scared to get detention. I hope that's reassuring."

Harry laughed. ''Thanks, Y/n.'' The two parted and Y/n ruffled his hair again, causing Harry to complain and try to fix it.

"Your hair is always messy anyway, what's the point in trying to fix it?" she asked and Harry rolled his eyes.

She hugged and wished Fleur good luck as well, then gave a curt nod to Viktor Krum, who returned it in acknowledgment. She noticed Cedric standing with Cho, the two talking, but she didn't dare approach him. Instead, she looked around for the twins, trying to spot their red heads.

''Y/n.''

She jumped slightly and turned around to see Cedric, Cho nowhere in sight. ''Oh, hello, Cedric.'' He remained quiet, though she could tell something was up. ''Did you want to tell me something?''

''I'm sorry for acting like a jerk before,'' Cedric apologized. ''I really like you and just, seeing you with Fred made me jealous. I couldn't help myself and that's not an excuse, but I'm very sorry.''

Y/n gave him a smile. ''It's no problem at all, Cedric. I understand.''

''I want to start over. I still have these feelings for you, but I have Cho now and I want us to be friends,'' Cedric said.

''That's fine by me,'' Y/n said and opened her arms, the two embracing each other. She wished him good luck as well, then walked away.

Fred didn't seem very happy when Y/n finally found him, George and Lee. ''What'd the git want from you?''

Y/n laughed at his jealousy. ''He just wants us to be friends, there's nothing to worry about. I only have eyes for you, Freddie,'' she reassured him, pressing a kiss to his cheek. That brought a smile on Fred's face and he was back to his goofy and dorky self.

The four finally found some seats and sat down, watching as the task started. Y/n had this bad feeling about it, like something was about to happen. She took her wand out of her pocked and clutched it in her hand, while holding Fred's hand in her other one.

- - -

Fleur and Krum were taken out of the labyrinth not too long after it started, though there was still no sight of Harry or Cedric. That assured that Hogwarts would win, but it didn't make Y/n feel any better about the situation.

There was a small warp, then Harry and Cedric appeared back on the stadium, Harry holding the Triwizard Cup. Everyone started cheering for the win, but Y/n could tell something was wrong. Harry was hunched over Cedric, his body shaking.

''There's something wrong,'' Y/n said and stood up, pulling Fred along with her. Fleur's scream echoed through the area as the four were walking down the stairs, causing them to stop. Everyone quieted down.

Cedric lay on the ground motionless, his eyes opened and lifeless, his skin pale. Y/n gasped upon the sight, realizing what it meant. Fred, having noticed it, too, pulled Y/n to his chest as the commotion started, trying to get her to look away from the horrifying sight.

Cedric Diggory was dead.

- - -

Y/n was sat between Cho and Fred on the memorial for Cedric. Although Cho seemed to dislike the Gryffindor girl, she still let her hold her hand during the service. Dumbledore had told them about Mad-Eye Moody being a covered Death Eater called Barty Crouch Jr. and revealed that Voldemort had killed Cedric.

They were boarded on the Hogwarts Express before they knew it, heading back home for the summer. The twins, Lee, Y/n, Angelina and Alicia were sharing a compartment, changing between all of them talking with each other or talking in pairs. Y/n was leaning against Fred as he conversed with George and Lee, whilst Angelina and Alicia had a conversation between themselves. She observed her friends, happy they were still here, happy they were still alive

Their arrival at King's Cross came way faster than Y/n had wanted it to. She wasn't sure if she was prepared to say bye to her friends yet. She wasn't prepared to say bye to Fred yet. The group walked out of the Hogwarts Express together, bidding goodbye to each other and going their separate ways.

Fred had Y/n's trunk in his hand along with his, having refused to let her carry it on her own, since 'a gentleman shouldn't let a lady carry heavy things', which earned an eye-roll from Y/n. They quickly found the rest of the Weasleys, including Harry and Hermione, already there. Even Y/n's parents' had joined the Weasleys and the girl threw herself at them to embrace them.

Harry had pulled Fred and George to the side, Y/n noticed when she pulled away from her parents. When they got back, each twin had a massive grin on their face. Y/n asked then what had happened, but they told her they'd tell her later.

Neither Fred or Y/n wanted to let go by the time they made it to the cars. Both of them were clinging on each other's hands on the way there, but now they had to part. They knew this moment would come and yet they still refused to let go until the last minute. Y/n was glad she'd managed to smuggle a shirt or two away from his trunk when she'd helped him pack.

Fred stopped, causing Y/n to halt as well. The rest of the group stood around the L/ns car, conversing as the two went to the side. Taking both of her hands in his, Fred spoke. ''I'll miss you, love.''

Y/n wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him close. ''I'll miss you, too, Freddie.''

''Would you like to come to the Burrow again at the end of the summer?'' Fred asked. ''If your parents allow you to.''

''If your parents are fine with it.''

''Of course they are, they love you,'' Fred said, pulling slightly away from the hug so he can look in her eyes. ''Not as much as me, though.'' Y/n felt her heart skip a beat.

''I love you, too, Fred.'' The two leaned in and kissed, slowly.

''Hey, lovebirds! C'mon!'' Ron yelled, earning a hit from George, Harry, Hermione and Ginny each. Fred and Y/n laughed as Ron groaned in pain, rubbing his sore spots. The grabbed each other's hands again and made their way back to their family.

END OF YEAR SIX