59 | Aftermath

The Great Hall had a more cheerful aura this time around. Dean and Seamus were laughing together, Ginny was conversing with Luna. Everyone was reuniting with their friends - or at least the ones that were still alive. People like Collin Creevy, Lavender Brown, Tonks, Lupin and many, many others were gone for good. Y/n thought of Collin's brother, Dennis, of Teddy Lupin - of all the people that the fallen heroes were leaving behind. War was a cruel thing.

As Y/n walked deeper in the room, she noticed Molly leaving Arthur and Ginny behind. The Weasley woman approached Y/n and wrapped her arms around the younger girl tightly, partially preventing the girl from breathing.

''Woah, Molly, are you alright?'' Y/n asked, wrapping her own arms around the older woman.

''I'm more than alright, dear. Thank you so, so much for saving my Freddie. I don't think I'll ever be thankful enough,'' Molly spoke and one could hear the gratitude in her voice.

Y/n nodded and patted her back. ''I couldn't just let him die, there's no need to thank me.''

The two pulled away and Molly thanked Y/n once again before walking back to her husband, seating herself next to him. The latter looked around and noticed Angelina and George embracing each other, causing her to smile. Katie and Alicia were near them, conversing with Lee, all three of them holding cups.

''So, I was told that you're good at Quidditch,'' a familiar voice spoke and Y/n turned around seeing Wood standing there, holding a cup of his own.

''I suppose I am,'' Y/n shrugged, a small smile tugging on her lips.

''We should gather some people to play sometime. Inform all the Weasleys,'' Wood practically commanded and Y/n saluted him, then watched him walk off. While doing that, she noticed Ron and Hermione sitting next to each other, practically cuddling.

''They're cute, aren't they?''

Y/n looked at her left and saw Harry standing there, looking at his best friends. She chuckled and nodded, looking back at the two. ''Yeah, they are.''

''You're going to tease them, aren't you?''

''Me and you both,'' Y/n said. ''Fred and George, too, probably.'' Light laughter left both of them.

''I'm glad everything's over,'' Y/n blurted out.

''Yeah.'' Harry nodded. ''Me too.''

Y/n looked over to where Ginny was now sitting alone, Luna having gone to sit with Neville, and she saw the redhead looking towards Harry. Nudging him, Y/n gestured towards Ginny, telling him to go to her, which he did.

Two arms sneaked around Y/n's waist from behind, pulling them to someone's chest. ''So you talked with everyone but me.''

She looked up at Fred's beautiful and lively eyes. ''I'm talking to you right now, aren't I?''

He snorted and let her go, taking her hand in his. Pulling Y/n over to a secluded corner, he sat down and leaned against the wall and pulling her to sit on his lap. They weren't talking, just taking it all in. He was rubbing her back soothingly and she was enjoying the warmt he was emitting. Y/n couldn't imagine his body being cold. She couldn't imagine his body being a corpse.

''I said that I was going to protect you with my life and yet the opposite thing happened,'' Fred commented all of the sudden.

Y/n looked up at him, a small smile on her lips. ''I'm the Auror in the relationship, after all.''

Fred nodded and pressed a small kiss on her forehead. They fell into silence again, resuming their position. Y/n stared into nothing, her mind blank, when Fred spoke.

''Will you marry me, love?''

Her eyes widened and she straightened up, looking in his eyes. He looked dead serious - maybe she shouldn't use the word dead, as it's triggering now - but she's never seen him this serious in all the years she's known him.

''I don't have a ring yet or anything - I'll work on that, I promise - but I just need to know your answer. Too much has happened tonight, especially with me almost dying and I realized that I shouldn't waste my time anymore. Each of us could've been dead by now and we would've missed our chance of life.''

Y/n wasn't sure how she still had any tears left, but they still spilled down her cheeks. This time, they were happy tears - extremely happy.

''So, what do you say, love? Will you marry poor ol' me?''

Nodding furiously, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, pulling him close to herself. She weeped on his shoulder, staining his shirt, but she doubted he cared. It wasn't the best purposal a girl could dream of, but Y/n didn't care. It was perfect for her.

They fought bravely and they almost died. They deserved something good because of that, right?

''Yes, Fred, a thousand times yes!''