40 | Patronuses

''We'll be working on the Patronus Charm today.''

Whispers filled the room as soon as the words left Harry's mouth. Y/n was excited – she'd wanted to learn about the Patronus Charm ever since Hermione had told her about what had happened that night when Sirius almost got kissed by the Dementors. She looked for it in every possible book, yet she couldn't find it, not even in the restricted section. Lupin had left before she had the chance to ask him, so she gave up.

Harry instructed the students to spread around the room, trying to think of their happiest memory and chant the words to cast the charm. The first thing that came to mind for Y/n was when she met Fred and George, so she whipped her wand out and called, ''Expecto Patronum!''

Light blue sparks appeared at the tip of her wand, but they were quick to disappear. ''That was very good for a first try, Y/n, but you should try with a stronger memory,'' Harry said as he passed her and she nodded, racking her brain for another memory.

The day Fred had asked her to be his girlfriend, that one had to work. ''Expecto Patronum!'' Whips of blue light appeared, but they didn't last long either. Y/n sighed, deciding to take a break. When she turned around, she noticed two animals – a hyena and a coyote – surrounding the laughing twins. ''You guys did it!''

''What can we say,'' George said with a smirk on his face as he and Fred fist-pumped. ''We're just that good.''

''Did you manage to cast yours, too?'' asked Fred, looking down at his girlfriend.

Y/n shook her head. ''No, not yet. I tried two memories, but none of them was strong enough to produce a full on animal.''

''Which memories did you use?'' Fred asked in curiosity.

''The first time I met you guys and when you asked me to be your girlfriend.''

''The fireworks didn't work? Damn,'' Fred said, somewhat disappointed.

George spoke. ''That must mean there's a memory that makes you happier.''

Y/n shrugged. ''I suppose so.''

Angelina called George from across the room. The twin winked at the couple and sped away, going to check what Angelina needed him for. Y/n and Fred stood in silence for a second before Y/n spoke. ''What memory did you use?''

He smiled to himself. ''The day I gave you the promise ring,'' he said. ''It kind of felt like a proposing to me, you know? I was extremely happy that you accepted it that day.''

Y/n looked down at her pointer finger, smiling upon the memory of that Christmas morning. This must be it, she thought as she brought her wand up, concentrating on the memory. ''Expecto Patronum!''

Blue whips escaped her wand, slowly forming a blue animal. It looked up at Y/n before taking a few circles around her, then joining Fred's hyena to run around the two. ''I did it!'' she said as she watched her Patronus in astonishment.

''Great job, love,'' Fred said as he brought her in a hug, pressing a kiss to her head.

''I succeeded because of you, Freddie,'' Y/n admitted, looking up at him, but never leaving his arms. ''Thank you.''

There was a loud bang from one of the walls, causing everyone to stiffen. Y/n's breath hitched as her and Fred, along with everyone else, looked at where the entrance to the Room of Requirement was supposed to be. There was another bang, then another and another. The mirrors shook and the Patronuses disappeared.

Everyone started gathering at the entrance, watching as the mirrors started cracking from the force on the outside. Harry and Collin Creevy stood at the front, whilst Fred and George stood closer to the group, holding their wands at the ready. Y/n stood firmly next to Fred, holding his hand and pointing her wand at the mirrors.

Harry grabbed Collin and pulled him away just as the entrance exploded, sending debris and glass flying everyone. ''Protego!'' Y/n casted, shielding herself, Fred and whoever happened to be behind them. Everyone stood still as she ash dispersed, watching to see who was on the other side.

Umbridge, along with her Inquisitor Squad stood on the other side of the wall. Draco Malfoy was dragging Marrieta, Cho's Ravenclaw friend, by the robes, showing her to the DAs. On her forehead was written the word 'SNEAK' with bold letters.

Cho gasped at the sight of her friend, whilst the rest of them remained quiet, knowing this wasn't going to end well.

''Get them!''

- - -

Y/n winced as she held the back of her hand after leaving the Great Hall, having had detention with Umbridge and everyone else in Dumbledore's Army. She looked around, trying to spot the twins so the three of them could go and treat their wounds. As she went down the corridor, she heard sobbing.

''Hey, don't cry,'' she heard George say. ''It's okay.''

''Yeah, see? It's almost gone already. Do you want to come with us so we can clean it for you?'' Fred said as he pointed at his hand, which was still very much bleeding. Nevertheless, the kid nodded and the three stood up, starting to head to the Gryffindor common room.

''Hey,'' Y/n said as she caught up to them.

''Hey, love,'' Fred said as he looked down at her, a soft smile on his face, though Y/n knew he must be hurting, as well.

''Are you okay?'' she asked.

''It's just numb now,'' Fred said as he rose his hand up, examining the carved in words on it. ''Are you okay?''

''Mine's numb too, so, yeah,'' Y/n nodded.

Fred took her bloodied hand, inspecting it. He let out a sigh, almost running his hand through his hair, luckily remembering it's covered with blood in time and deciding against it.

''Let's go clean ourselves and try to fix this mess,'' Fred said and she nodded, then the two hurried to catch up with George and the young Gryffindor boy.