44 | Grades

Y/n sat on the chair, her feet propped up on Fred's lap as the two of them sat on the kitchen table and drank their morning coffee. Fred ran his hand up and down her leg soothingly as the two sipped on the warm drink. George had gone to get the mail before the three would be going down to open the shop for the day. Y/n would be helping them, just as she had the past few days.

''Y/n!'' George called as he entered the kitchen, a few letters in hand. ''There's a letter from Hogwarts for you.''

Putting her feet back on the ground, Y/n looked at George in surprise. The boy handed her the latter and she observed it, seeing the Hogwarts stamp sealing it. ''Thanks.''

She wasn't sure if she was ready to open it. Did she really want to know her marks? What if she'd failed? What if she'd got good marks? But what if they aren't good enough? What if she just wanted to stay in the shop with the twins?

The twins looked at Y/n, who didn't tear her gaze from the letter that was going to decide her future. If anything, Fred and George seemed more eager to know her grades than she was. She took a deep breath before breaking the stamp, opening the envelope and pulling out two pieces of parchment.

She read the first one out loud, on which, with neat handwriting, was written:

Dear Miss Y/n L/n,

Please find an enclosed copy of your Nastily Exausting Wizarding Test final grades.

We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your efforts throughout this academic year and completing your N.E.W.T's clearance from Anti-Cheating Quilld and Anti-Cheating Spells. We hope that you have received the grades you have require for your chosen wizarding profession.

We would like to take this opportunity to wish you good luck with your future wizarding career.

Griselda Marchbanks

Griselda Marchbanks
Governor
Wizarding Examination Authority
Education Division
Ministry of Magic

She put the letter to the side, looking at the second piece of parchment, the one she actually dreaded opening. She looked at George, then at Fred and then back at the letter. Opening it, she scanned through it.

NASTILY EXAUSTING WIZARDING TEST EXAMINATION

Pass Grades:

Outstanding (O)
Exceeds Expectations (E)
Acceptable (A)

Fail Grades:

Poor (P)
Dreadful (D)
Troll (T)

Y/N M/N L/N HAS ACHIEVED:

Defence Against the Dark Arts O

Transfiguration O

Charms O

Potions O

Herbolgy O

Y/n watched the paper in disbelief, almost choking on air. She had put a lot of effort, but she never expected to receive such good results.

''What is it?'' asked Fred carefully. ''Is it bad?''

She simply put the paper on the table, letting the twins each take a look at it. ''YOU GOT ALL O'S?''

''Love, this is amazing!''

''Congrats!''

''Thanks,'' Y/n said, putting her head in her hands in relief.

''You can become an Auror now!'' Fred exclaimed, causing Y/n to stiffen.

''Yeah,'' she breathed out.

But did she actually want to be one?

- - -

Fred tended to customers as he noticed Y/n from the corner of his eye. She stood in front of a shelf, a box of products she was supposed to put up laying on the ground next to her. Her wand was in her hand, yet she wasn't doing anything, seemingly deep in thought.

He quickly excused himself from the kids and their parents, hurrying over to the girl in concern. ''Love? Are you alright?''

Y/n shook her head, giving him a weak smile. ''Yeah, I'm fine.''

''Are you sure?'' Fred asked, placing a hand on her back. ''Do you want to take a break?''

''I'm sure. Thanks for the concern, Freddie,'' Y/n said and pressed a kiss to his cheek, as if to direct his attention away from the issue. He played along, leaving her to finish her work and going back to his.

He kept an eye on her the whole day and she was still in the same condition, yet she kept saying she's fine. Even George had noticed something was wrong.

George left to have dinner with Angelina after they closed the shop, which left Y/n and Fred on their own for a few hours. The two cooked dinner – the muggle way – then ate together, though in silence.

''Love, please, tell me what's wrong,'' Fred pleaded, becoming tired of the quiet atmosphere. ''You know you can trust me, right?''

Y/n gave him a weak smile. ''Of course I know,'' she shook her head. ''I just . . . I'm not sure if I want to be an Auror.''

Fred furrowed his eyebrows. ''You aren't?''

She shook her head. ''I don't know if I'm qualified enough,'' she said. ''Besides, I enjoy working in the shop and spending time with you and George.''

''I understand how you feel, but are you completely sure? Because if you give up now it won't be as easy later on if you decide otherwise.''

Y/n let out a frustrated sign. ''That's the whole problem. I'm not completly sure what I want! On one hand, I want to stay in the shop, on the other, Auror seems like an interesting career path!''

Fred grabbed her hands, holding them tightly. ''Listen, you know I'll support you no matter what, right?'' She nodded. ''Good. But if I could give my opinion, I think you should try our the Auror career. I think you'd be amazing and besides, you practically live with George and I, so you'll still see us every day. If you don't like it, you can just quit and come back to work at the joke shop.''

They didn't avert their gazes from one another, Fred rubbing soothing circles on the back of her hands. Y/n gave him a small smile, then said, ''I think I'll do that. It wouldn't hurt to try, right?''

Fred shook his head with a smile. ''Not at all.''

''I'll wait until September before starting, though,'' she told him. ''You guys still need help in the shop.''

''Start whenever you want, I'll be there for you anyway,'' he reassured.

''Thanks, Freddie. I really needed some guidance and reassurance.''

He raised one of her hands to his lips and pressed a kiss to it. ''Always, love.''