25 | The Toad in Pink

Fred, George, Y/n and Lee sat at breakfast in the Great Hall, observing their new schedules. Y/n had five classes this year again, Lee had dropped one, so now he had four and the twins had their three classes. Their only purpose of going to school at this point was because Molly would never let them hear the end of it if they dropped out before their seventh year had even started.

All four of them have Defence Against the Dark Arts, thankfully, but unfortunately it happened to be their first class of the year, much like last year. Y/n was anxious, considering they'll be the first class to meet Umbridge officially.

Y/n and Fred had decided to sit together in the few classes they have together, which included Defence Against the Dark Arts. They sat in the back, like they'd do every year, and Lee and George sat in front of them, together. The classroom started to slowly fill up with students, the Professor arriving not too long after.

She looked around the class, as if looking for somebody. ''First of all, who would Fred and George Weasley happen to be?''

Fred stiffed in surprise for a second, as did George, but soon enough, smirks plastered on their faces. It prided them that she knew them already, as it showed how popular they must be. Though Y/n couldn't help but wonder how she knew the twins.

''Fred and George Weasley?''

The twins raised their hands high in the year, the two speaking simultaneously. ''That would be us.''

''Ah, great.'' Y/n and Umbrudge made eye contact at the teacher's words. ''And the two next to you, would they happen to be your friends?''

Lee and Y/n stiffened, but were quick to answer with an unsynchronized, ''Yes.''

''I would kindly ask you four to come to the front of the classroom,'' Umbridge instructed, pointing at the two free desks right in front of her. The four shared a look before picking up their things and moving to their new seats. Did she just want to fill the desks? That wouldn't explain why she'd asked exactly for the twins, though.

Umbridge took her wand out and pointed it towards the black board, words appearing on as she spoke. ''Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test,'' she said and turned to face the students. ''Or commonly known as NEWTs.'' Her voice was extremely high pitched, which irritated most students. "Study hard and you'll be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be . . . severe." Her expression was way too innocent for someone who worked for the Ministry, which caused Y/n to suspect her even more.

She waved her wand, the books previously stacked behind her floating in the air and towards the students. Y/n and Fred were one of the first ones to receive the books, Y/n picking it up and taking a look on the cover. Dark Arts Defence: Basics for Begginers was written on the cover, causing Y/n and Fred to share a look of confusion.

''Your previous instructions in this subject has been disturbingly uneven.'' she said and the class looked at her again. ''But you'll be pleased to know that from now on we'll be following a carefully structured, Ministry approved course of Defence of Magic.''

Y/n opened the book, starting to list through it. Realizing something, she rose her hand in the air and Umbridge pointed at her. ''Yes?''

''Is there something about using spells or did I miss it?'' Y/n asked.

Umbridge laughed. ''Using spells? I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom.''

''We're not gonna use magic?'' George asked, closing his book.

''You'll be learning about defensing spells in a secure, risk-free way,'' the professor said.

''But if we're gonna be attacked it won't be either secure of risk-free.'' Fred said all of the sudden.

Umbridge snapped. ''Students will raise their hands before speaking in my classroom.'' she almost yelled at him, then turned around, her oh-so-nice facade back up. ''In the Ministry's eyes, theoretical knowledge is all you need to pass your exam and, after all, this is what school is all about!''

''Well yes, but how is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?'' Y/n asked, without raising my hand.

''There is nothing out there,'' Umbridge almost glared at Y/n. ''And if there was, who would beging to imagine attacking children like yourselves?''

Everyone knew the answer, yet no one dared say it. When Umbridge noticed she'd won that round, she instructed the students to open their books and begin to read the first chapter while taking notes. The students complied without another word.

- - -

''This is unbelievable!'' Y/n complained as she and her friends exited the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. ''How are we supposed to be prepared for the NEWTs when she's making us learn first year stuff!'' She was thankful their next class was Transfiguration, where they'll be able to tell McGonagall about Umbridge.

''You're right,'' Fred agreed, wrapping an arm around his girlfriend. ''But, am I the only one who thinks she looks like a toad?'' This lifted the mood slightly, earning a laugh of the four teenagers.

''It would be so much fun to prank her, don't you think?'' George asked and the other three agreed.

''Why can't we have a normal teacher for once?'' Y/n sighed. ''I miss Professor Lupin in times like this.''

''Yeah, me too,'' Lee agreed. ''He was the only teacher we actually learned something from.''

Fred gave Y/n a peck on the side of her head and a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder. ''You'll be alright, love. You're smart enough to ace the NEWTs without any help from that hag.''

Y/n gave him a weak smile. ''I hope I am. Thanks, Freddie.''